Monday, June 22, 2009

bloggers unite?

I hope this article outlining how the government will patrol blogs for "false claims" is a late April Fool's joke or blown out of proportion, but I fear it is truly possible.

The proposed guidelines (PDF) state that “deceptive speech is not protected by the First Amendment,” and that “The Supreme Court has repeatedly stated that the government can restrict, or even ban, such speech.” Of course, the issue of whether such speech is deceptive will be decided by the government itself.

The article says, "Any type of blog could be scrutinized, not just ones that specialize in reviews." Does this mean my Works For Me Wednesday (WFMW) section is in jeopardy?

Luckily my blog is about raising twins, giggles, and fatherhood, but I feel bad for those who are using blogs to share views that don't align with the government.

No comments: