Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Twinkle, Twinkle twins

Greetings friends and family,

The surprising thing about spending time with a child (or children) is not how they parrot full sentences or repeat expletives with the same level of passion as the parent. The surprising part for me is seeing how their very of themselves and the world around them is shaped by the parent’s words and songs and experiences.

Hearing Layla say, “I’m a beauuuuuutiful princess!” and Easton say, “I am handsome, Prince Charming!” is amazing to me. Their own self-confidence is being built right before my eyes like a time-lapse video of a home construction. I know, those reflective comments from the twins are appearance oriented and may appear to be shallow. However, it all starts with their heart and how they see themselves is as important as the other aspects which we regularly teach them as well. They say, “I am smart” and “I have a happy heart” and “I have kind hands”.

Even more than that Easton is really getting the hang of it because he voluntarily told Kendra, “Mommy is beautiful” and that’s when I know the brains are really kicking into gear. He has a sensitive, sweet character about him which I’m thrilled to watch develop.

From the moment the twins were born Kendra told me Layla’s hair won’t grow until after she is 2 years old. I accepted the expectation, but have looked forward to the day when Layla’s hair would be long enough to put in a pony tail. I just think little girls look extra cute with a pony tail for some reason. Finally after 2 years and 4 months… the pony tail is HERE!


Another thing you might notice is how light the twin’s hair is with red tones as well. Certainly nowhere near my black hair or Kendra’s dark brown hair, but I could really care less what color it is. I’m just happy her hair is growing longer every day.

All of our hard work to incorporate music through singing is finally paying off. Easton and Layla perform a duet of the never-ending “Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star”. They never get to the final stanza and instead loop the chorus indefinitely until I physically take the microphones away. Easton is so comical in the way he holds two microphones at a time.



American idol, here we come! Now if I can just get them to start singing it in a round? hmmmm...

Each day with Oma in our house is more of a blessing. I know I should be more of present-tense thinker, but I’m already sad she has to leave in a week. It does keep me focused on making the most of our time with her and adventures we share. It also makes me miss having my mom around even more than normal.

Layla is finding out the hard way that Oma isn't a push over and has healthy boundaries just like Mommy and Daddy. You can tell she doesn't have a happy heart in this picture, but we are all three united and consistent in our boundaries for her. The great outcome from these moments is the twins behave equally well for all of us no matter who is in the house. :)


The swimming lessons are over and the only tangible thing we got from $240 is a cheap, bent ribbon for each of the twins saying they “passed” the class. Luckily the intangible swimming skills they acquired are well worth the cost. Now we can keep the momentum going forward as we continue the daily lessons at the Casa de Webb.

See you soon!

No comments: