Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Missing Them Already

Howdy friends and family,

The 4 Webbs have a slight twang in our dialect from being around Aunt Mary and singing Miley Cyrus's "Butterfly Fly Away" song.  Kids are so easily influenced by their surroundings...

Today I'm an individual contributor in my company.  Starting tomorrow I'll be running the security risk management service, which includes 60 people.  I'm not scared, just a bit anxious about the unknown.  Even though it is only a 10 week temporary assignment, I'll have the eyes of management on me to see how well I do.  That will either set me up for another 17 years of being an individual contributor or I'll be in line for a management position if or when one comes available.  Either way I am content and happy with my job.

I will spend the next two days in Oregon getting acquainted with my new team.  I'm still at home packing for the trip, but know I'll be missing the twins and Kendra as soon as I get to the airport.

Enough about me, let's talk about the most interesting part of my life: Easton and Layla.  We went to the greenbelt for some adventures and outdoor activity.  We found some dandelions, which Layla made into a bouquet for me.


Easton is growing like a weed and would rather keep munching on the trail mix than chase dandelions.


I asked them not to pick out the fruit from the trail mix medley, but not until they already had their hands full of kiwi and pineapple bites.  I asked, "are you picking out the fruit?" This shows their "we're sorry" faces.


I convinced them to pose a little bit and let me take advantage of the sunset and the pleasant background.  The apple doesn't fall far from the tree is a common saying that fits the twins very well.


I asked them to sit on the park bench and Easton naturally put his arm around Layla and smiled really big even though I didn't even have the camera on at the time.  They are so used to me snapping photos that it comes naturally.  Even when I am without a camera they still act this way towards each other.  8 out of 10 moments are like this.


1 out of 10 moments are like this.


and the other 1 out of 10 moments includes tantrums, name calling, blaming, arguing, crying, pouting, and lying.  Nobody is perfect, even my two little angels.  I'll have to be quicker with my camera to capture some of THOSE moments when they happen.

After dinner I told the twins to get their bedtime routine going.  Easton hopped in the bathtub and Layla went in her room presumably to get her pajamas ready.  I came back from my room a few minutes later and found Easton sitting naked in the empty bathtub and Layla dancing in her tutu and tiara.  


Their ability to carry out instructions is still a work in progress.  They know that bad choices get bad consequences and good choices get good consequences.  Even so, they still make the bad choices even though they know what's coming.  It's a good thing only five-year-olds operate like that, huh?

The rest of the month will be filled with Christmas cheer, vacation days and outdoor activities.  Long live December!

See you soon.


No comments: