Friday, August 23, 2013

Double Sicko, Hello SLO

Howdy friends and family,

I may have jinxed the twins.  A few nights ago I recounted the blessing about how healthy Easton and Layla have been since birth.  They rarely get sick.  The comparison I have is personal conversations and Facebook posts of parents who announce their child's sickness as frequently as I change socks.  Not so at the Webb house.  Even so, I knew going into kindergarten would increase the risk of sickness because it is a petri dish breeding ground of kids coughing and snotting all over the classrooms and each other.  At least, that's my impression.  We took no precautions or preventative measures such as bulking up on vitamin C because life happens and kids get sick unless they are placed in a bubble.  There is never a good time to be sick, but Thursday morning both Easton and Layla woke up glassy-eyed, feverish, and coughing.  We were leaving town the next morning for Logan's wedding.  Kendra kept them home to rest all day Thursday and that seems to have done the trick! Layla's highlight of the day was finger painting in the bathtub.  She made the palm tree and started in on butterflies before I had to leave for errands.

Easton pulled out his puzzles and went to town being constructive with his time.  He still hasn't figured out that it is best to do the outside edges first and then fill it in, but Nana is coming in a few weeks to provide expert instruction .

This morning we woke up insanely early at 4:30 AM.  that is not even a valid time on my clock or Easton's.  We sluggishly drug ourselves into the Pilot and headed out of town.  We started driving and the twins started asking questions about the darkness and how it gets light.  Then it hit me...  the twins have never seen a sunrise!  Their consistent schedule and our blessing of having Kendra stay home with them since they were born means they have not needed to be up early enough to catch a sunrise.

They leaned around their car seats to see the awesomeness on display behind us.  We watched the colors fill the sky and the sun poke up above the horizon while explaining in great detail how our solar system works.

The 9-hour drive was taxing, but the twins are super travellers.  We stopped as soon as we reached the coast for a stretch break and go for a walk along the beach.  

That quickly turned into getting our feet wet while running from the waves and each other.

We stared out across the ocean for several minutes just enjoying the smell and visual amazement that never gets old.  Layla said, "I smell an Orca whale tail!"

Easton stood frozen for a few minutes just staring out into the vastness of the ocean.  We called several times when it was time to leave, but he didn't hear a word we said.  I had to go over and physically pick him up and carry him like a briefcase away form the waves.  but not before capturing a genuine smile from the two of us.

We had a bit of a "challenge" as we walked away from the beach.  Kendra thought we walked through tree sap, but it turned out to be pure sludge OIL!  There were three off-shore drilling rigs on the horizon.  apparently it is common to find big globs of oil that wash up on the shoreline.  Anyway, we all were disgusted with the black gooey mess coating the bottom of our feet.   I laughed because it's just one of those things that happens when you go adventuring.  Kendra was not laughing at all because she had to scrub and scrape our feet enough to get in the car without getting everything in there gooey.

The rest of the trip to SLO was uneventful and we arrived on time as expected.  The rest of the day has been a blur and I have no idea how my eyes are still open this late considering the early departure.  The weekend will be filled with many picture worthy moments and I can't wait for the 4 Webbs to celebrate with Logan and Bree.

See you soon!

No comments: