Tuesday, January 19, 2010

astronaut and princess

This morning I woke up to hang out with our dynamic duo and give mommy a chance to sleep in. I snuck up to their door and heard Layla reading aloud, "Polar bear, polar bear". She was on the page with the snakes and Easton was doing the sound effects for each page. I wanted to get the camera to take a video, but they heard my foot steps and promptly stopped their coordinated story time. In stereo they shouted, "mommy! mommy!" so I opened the door like Kramer from Seinfeld. I expected them to change the chant to "daddy! daddy!", but instead they simply changed the tone from cheering to questioning, "mommy? mommy?" I don't blame them for wanting to see her smiley face.

After the twins realized it was a daddy kind of morning, I lifted Easton and he said, "Space shuttle, daddy. Easton astronaut!" I said, "OK, buddy. Yes, you can be an astronaut." Layla piped up and said, "seat belt, Easton!" forcefully demanding he wear his seat belt when he flys in the space shuttle. She is correct and I reaffirmed the mandate with my pointy finger at Easton telling him he MUST wear his seat belt when he is in the space shuttle. In typical Easton fashion he said, "OK!" as if we had just made a verbal agreement on a real estate deal. Then I changed his diaper.

That's the kind of fun I have every morning before work. Sure makes it hard to leave knowing I'll miss out on those moments during the day. I stuck around for breakfast though.

Future princess:


Future astronaut:


Both of them covered in homemade blueberry syrup.

Caption of the day: Am I tall enough to go to DisneyLand now?


Nothing really special about that image, it's just really cute of Easton and humorous at the same time.

What happens when two fire trucks and an ambulance full of fire and rescue folks play ultimate frisbee at the park?


We end up with two free hats (Layla already destroyed one) and an open invitation to tour the local firehouse.

The 4 Webbs went to a park close to my work and happened to be there at the same time as those fire and rescue people were getting their exercise. They were very friendly and approached us offering to let us hang out INSIDE the fire truck. As soon as we took one step towards the rigs, Easton started saying, "no... No... NO..." and didn't stop until we assured him he didn't have to approach the vehicles. Layla was unsure, but willing to hang out with the people. She even let one of the guys hold her as she exuberantly counted to ten ending with climactic team applause at the end.

One of the guys opened the cab of the fire truck and motioned for Layla and I to go inside. Recognizing his offer Layla piped up before I could even take a step towards the tuck. Her new phrase is "I don't like it!" She clearly indicated her position on the idea of entering the vehicle. As a father who knows Colossians 3:21, which says: "Fathers, provoke not your children to anger, lest they be discouraged." So I didn't force the issue at all. However, now I have this open invitation to sit in a REAL fire truck and hang out with fire fighters. It's already burning me like a stack of $100 bills in my pocket, but I'll have to wait at least several months to try again when they are not so scared of the big rigs.

Today's weather: Overcast and rainy (Queue the BJ Thomas song)

Raindrops keep fallin' on my head
But that doesn't mean my eyes will soon be turnin' red
Cryin's not for me
'Cause I'm never gonna stop the rain by complainin'


Because I'm free
Nothin's worryin' me

See you soon!

No comments: