Monday, May 30, 2011

Long Birthday Weekend

Greetings friends and family,

The Memorial Day weekend was crazy busy for the 4 Webbs. I've had the flu since Friday afternoon. Just in time for the long weekend and after all the doctors left for vacation. Even so, I kept my head above water and did my best to make the most of the time away from work. Part of Kendra's birthday present was to spend as much time with the twins and give her time to be alone or with friends.

One such evening I was tasked with cooking dinner, but since the stove burners were out for cleaning I took Easton and Layla to Red Robin's. The place was packed so we occupied our time waiting for burgers by playing every game I know. I had them name the colors of the lights, played "I spy", counted, colored, and just when I ran out of tricks in my bag... burgers arrived!


Another 5 minutes longer and I would have had to dance in the isle to keep them from climbing the curtains. Part of her birthday weekend gift was eating out often so she could enjoy her favorite restaurants and give her a break from the kitchen. We ate sushi one afternoon for lunch. Easton loves raw fish! Like father, like son. I had to keep his chopsticks away from my hamachi sashimi.

On another occasion where Kendra was gone I pulled out my Ace in the Hole for entertaining the twins: pans and spoons! The three of us banged and drummed on these poor pans so much my ears were ringing. We marched around and sang along to tunes we made up as we went.


Then came time for us to celebrate Kendra's birthday. She didn't plan to have a cake or candles, but Layla insisted so Kendra made angel food cake and we sang for her.


The weather around here is still cool enough for us to get early morning park time in without the sand scorching our feet. We lather them up with sun screen religiously and head out to make new friends.


In the past few weeks I noticed Layla is starting to have freckles pop up on her rosy cheeks. I think freckles are cute, but Kendra sees it as imperfections with which she is also afflicted.

Layla's night time song routine involves two of these four:

Up, up in the sky
Jesus Love Me
Amazing Grace
Layla's special song

I let her choose and then after the singing we go through the same scripted act. She says, "Now you give me a hug and a kiss". Then I do it. She says, "leave the door cracked. Not a little one... a BIG crack." Then I do it. She says, "leave the light on in the hallway, ok?". Of course I do that too. We go through this same routine every night for the past many months, but she still has the need to tell me each move in our bed time dance. Whatever gives her the foundation and comfort is fine by me and I look forward to it every night.

Easton's routine is much shorter. Sometimes he asks for a song and sometimes he's already sucking his thumb with his eyes closed by the time I'm ready to say goodnight.

I'm praying for a good night's sleep for all 4 Webbs and a healthy start to the week. We sure need it...

See you soon!

No comments: