Saturday, May 21, 2011

Backward Bill

Howdy friends and family,

Kendra and the twins are feverishly sick so I get to feel like a hero for a few days. We've experienced several milestones lately so let me bask in the glory for a few seconds as we cheer for progress.

Layla reached Potty Training level 5 this past week. She goes by herself without asking for permission. The level 5 rating refers to self-wiping. Thank GOD for this one! I almost freaked out yesterday. Kendra and I were getting ready in our bedroom the other day. Layla walked in and announced that she "went poops". I freaked out because if she's standing in our room with her clothes on, then that means there is a mess in her clothes to deal with because I know neither Kendra nor I were there to take care of the wiping. Kendra and Layla both reassured me she's a big-big girl now and does it all (and I mean all) by herself!


And now, a moment of silence for the 3 years of butt-wiping... which I will never HAVE to do again. yeeee-haw! I can't even begin to describe how excited I am to have them self-govern the potty breaks. Now if I can only remember to force them to go before we leave the house...

Easton is still a level 4 Potty Training expert, but he'll reach the level 5 milestone before school starts in August and that's all we care about.

Another milestone is self-dressing. It's still a work in progress, but just the idea of them getting dressed all by themselves in the morning is a dream come true. Although, Easton will need some serious guidance. Notice anything odd about Easton's clothing selection?


Maybe I shouldn't read the "Backward Bill" poem in Shel Silverstein's book, "A Light in the Attic". First of all, it's the same outfit he wore the day before. Next, you might notice everything is on backwards. His shirt is backwards, pants are backwards, shoes are backwards. Even his UNDERWEAR is on backwards. I don't know how he went "0 for 4" on this attempt, but it takes some real planning to get it 100% wrong. I give him high marks just for trying. I provided encouraging words and a rework of the entire outfit.

I have no idea what Easton and Layla were concocting in this next picture. The stuffed animals are tucked in their blanket and resting on a pillows under the umbrella.


The reason I posted this picture is because no matter what the twins do, they do it together. She plays trains and he plays kitchen so everyone is happy.

Another milestone is an increased level of activity. Easton started running and although Layla is still more advanced athletically, he is coming along very well in this area.


Speaking of Layla running... This picture is so awesome it almost looks photoshop'd and fake.


I joined the twins for an afternoon of park and splashpad fun. Both of them gained a pocketful of courage enough to run through the blasting water jets. Layla runs with such strength she practically floats through the air or runs on water (whatever the occasion calls for).

Easton stopped a few times to do what every single boy at the splash pad was doing... Standing over the top of the water jets. Easton reached the age where I'm starting to ask, "why in the world is he doing THAT?" Layla is equally unsure why all the boys do this.


The three of us had a wonderful time playing, but the best part was at the end when they were cold after finishing with the splash pad. They sat wrapped up in their towels right in front of me and I had the chance to cuddle with them for several minutes. It's rare for ONE of them to sit still long enough for me to hold them close. It's almost impossible for both of them to do this at the same time. I can count on one hand the number of occasions where I was able to hold Easton and Layla close to me for more than 5 minutes.


Then we arrived back home and it was back to the ole' run around games. They watched the rarely-viewed Lion King movie while we prepared dinner. The song, "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" got stuck in their heads so I downloaded it. They ask for it by the name, "The Wee-UM-Momma-way song".



And if the picture doesn't do it justice, here is the video of them dancing around:


In a conversation with Kendra we agreed how incredibly lucky we are (and they are) to have such a happy childhood and environment for them. We are extremely blessed to provide the twins with our quality time, way of life, and a generally care-free childhood. I can't help but think of the other 95% of the world's children who suffer from abuse, hunger, neglect, poverty, parental death, etc. We don't take a single day or even a moment for granted. I wish nothing would ever change, but I know that's not possible. Change is inevitable and I know that. My greatest wish is for our family is for things to continue on the path we are on now and get better every day.

See you soon!

No comments: