Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Saying I Love You

Hi friends and family,

Here's another round of pictures from the professional's ad-hoc photo shoot at Joe's Farm Grill. This one is my current desktop. If I were a Roman warrior I'd print this on my laser printer and duct tape it to the inside of my breastplate armor. OK, maybe I'm mixing centuries, but you get the point.


Kendra said Easton showed signs of flirting or showing off with the photographer as he ran back and forth grinning like a possum. I wonder where Big Time got that from? What a handsome boy.


Our birthday party attendance is becoming more regular as the months go by. I ask Kendra, "What birthday parties are we attending?" and she will rattle off the list of celebrations over the next few weeks. This one was a big hit because they had a huge bounce house at the park with a splashpad. bouncing and splashing is a fairly straight forward formula for a kid party. Add in a Thomas the Train cupcake and Easton had the time of his life.


Judson and Heidi attended the same birthday party as we did on Saturday. They graciously gave us two trash bags full of clothes and shoes. I'm talking about a massive amount of very high quality stuff. Their gift was such a blessing and we owe them so much for the generosity. Kendra did some categorizing and the twins are lying on one of the plastic bin-fulls of shoes we have now. As Layla grows she'll be stylin'.


When they wear something from Judson's kids we make a point of reminding them who gave them the clothes. It's so difficult to teach gratefulness.

Speaking of grateful, I've started talking to Easton and Layla regularly about them being gifts for Kendra and I. You should see Layla's eyes light up when I tell her, "You are a gift from God for Mommy and me. He gave you to us so we could be your Mommy and Daddy."


Easton understands conceptually what I'm talking about, but not as intensely as Layla. He just gives me a big hug and says, "I love you, Daddy". I can't ask for more than that.

I heard a story on the radio this morning about a man who lost both of his two sons in the World Trade Center on 9-11. They were firemen and the thing that struck me the most was, "He told him to be careful and that he loved him. "I love you Dad" were Joseph's last words to his father." It's not many people that the last words they said to their son or daughter was 'I love you'. I hope more than anything to never deal with losing a child, but I still make it a point to give hugs and kisses and say, "I love you" every chance I get.

I do my best to keep the blog focused on adventures we share with the twins and away from politics. I also make a point not to bother them with current events because they are not old enough to care or need to be bothered. However, in light of the events on May 1st, 2011 and to pay my heartfelt respects to a father who lost two sons on 9-11, I'll end with a quote from Mark Twain: "I've never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure."

No comments: