Thursday, May 19, 2011

Trips on the Horizon

Greetings friends and family,

The next 3 months are going to be adventurous on a level the 4 Webbs have never seen. Here's the short list of awesomeness:

Trip to Oklahoma to visit Aunt Mary
Trip to Sacramento to visit Oma and Opa
Trip to San Luis Obispo to visit Logan and Bree
Trip to San Diego to visit Legoland and Sea World (maybe)
Trip to the hospital for Kendra's arthroscopic knee surgery

Sounds like a lot of fun until that last trip, huh... Not quite as awesome as the rest. However, because of all the other trips this summer Kendra decided to postpone the surgery until early August. I am excited for her to get it done so she can be pain-free and get back to the active lifestyle she's been missing for almost a year. Sometime during all this busy summer I'll need to work. It feels like we are mentally gearing up for one last hoo-rah before the twins go to pre-school this fall. I can't even believe it is possible we are planning for their start in school.

We're still having fun at home one day at a time for now. The humming bird feeder eventually saw it's fair share of visitors. The hot AZ sun and 2% humidity dried it all up though. I took the twins to Lowe's for the bird juice and gave them the chance to help mix it up. Layla poured the powder, Easton stirred, and I hung it up on the back porch. Teamwork!


I'm still digesting a word of advice I heard a few days ago. Someone said, "Never do for a child what he/she can do for his/her self". In most ways I agree this is a good measure to gauge whether I'm over-parenting or under-parenting.

For example, I don't lift Easton or Layla into the back seat of the car and I haven't for several months. Once they became proficient at that, I let them do it and they know I expect it of them. Same goes for buckling the seat belts. Easton and Layla mastered that last month so now it's up to them to buckle up and then say, "I'm ready!" when the clips are in. I don't put the car in reverse until I know they're buckled in and have sounded off.

The weather has been very accommodating for our daily ride down to the mailbox. They are both riding well and loving the rides with Dad. Easton is already looking forward to mountain bike riding. He said, "Maybe some day I will ride on the volcano (South Mountain) with you and Judson?" Of course, I encourage him and respond in the same way ANY time he or Layla asks if they can do or be something in the future. I say, "Yes, you can! You can do/be anything you want to." That's a day dream I have occasionally for when Easton is 9 or 10. He and I load up the bikes and go for a ride in the desert.


Although I am excited about the years when Easton is older, I am content to have fun in the here-and-now. Easton is wearing Uncle Casey's penguin costume hat. Oma saved it all these years and Easton is the beneficiary of it. I haven't seen the whole costume, but I'm certain he'll be a big hit as a penguin the next time we have need of a costume.


This week the twins are taking swim lesson boot camp. Five days in a row for two weeks back-to-back. The one hour intense one-on-one swim instructions are going really well according to Kendra. They are learning how to float on their back, swim down and pick up rings, and how to get out of a pool if they were to accidentally fall in. The last one is the real reason we are sending them through the lessons. Safety first!

Layla asked for her hair to be braided instead of pig tails. She knows what she likes and isn't afraid to ask us for it. Kendra happily granted her request and the braided hair look is so cute on Layla.


Even though she is girly when it comes to ballerina princess fairies and such, but she is also on her way to becoming a highly skilled athlete. This is a soccer ball and she KNOWS how to kick it around.


Time for bed so I can be prepared for the wild weekend of self-imposed craziness.

See you soon!

2 comments:

R said...

I didn't see a trip to France to visit your bestest friend on the list . . . Pourquoi?

The Four Webbs said...

I am very much interested to visit you France. Maybe you need a few more months exploring the city to learn the awesome local adventures? How about next summer? I'll be on a 3 month sabbatical!