Sunday, April 24, 2011

Meaning of Easter

Happy Easter friends and family,

Today is the official day and this is my official Easter picture.


You may be thinking, "Hey, I thought this was the FOUR Webb's blog... What happened to the fourth Webb?" Well, we did take a lovely outdoor photo courtesy of a ledge and the timer on the camera. However, after the fourth Webb viewed said picture it was deemed unusable due to personal reasons. She didn't like it. I think it is a great picture, but you have to choose your battles and posting a picture she disagrees with isn't worth it.

The last time I wore a tie was... hmmmmm. I can't remember the last time I wore a tie. Maybe 9 years ago for our wedding? Anyway, this is the first suit I've owned in years and Easter is the best time I know of to break it in. Layla's dress looked so sweet on her, courtesy of Nana.

My favorite Easter picture is the one above because I'm in it and this is my blog so there you have it. However, the picture I will use on my computer desktop is this next one because the expression on their faces is much better.



The twins are at an age where it is important to know where stuff came from. They routinely point to something they own and say, "who bought this for me?" In today's case Layla asked specifically who bought her pretty Easter dress and I proudly told her Nana did. Easton looked very debonair with his hair styled and pressed shirt. Debonair is the word Kendra used to compliment him and I think it suites him well.

The timing of when to tell the twins about certain holiday stories is starting to come into question for us. Christmas was an easy one because they understand clearly what it means for the birth of baby Jesus. Easter is more difficult subject because it's dealing with Jesus' death and resurrection with lots of spiritual undertones.

We have NO intention of turning Easter into a Hallmark holiday about bunnies and eggs like many others have. Last night Kendra decided to give the twins a cliff notes version and I'm not sure how much they really comprehended. When it was my turn to say goodnight to Layla she repeated back the basics of Kendra's version. She told me the story as if I was hearing it for the first time. If only I had a camera then to capture her excitement and description.

For the past few month's I've been working with the twins on the concept of creativity. I'll have to get the name of the book we have which describes what it means to be creative. The book has pictures and examples and a kid-friendly explanation. After reading the book to them I look for opportunities to say, "you are creative!" I'm a strong believer in the power of words and if I as the father tell them something enough, they will believe it.

One such situation came up where Easton grabbed the dinosaur place mat off the table and put it on his head like a hat.


I said, "you are creative, Easton!" and he responded back saying, "yes, I am creative." His response wasn't a parroting of my words. It was a statement of fact and he honestly believes that about himself.

Layla refuses to be outdone so after convincing Easton to give her a turn she did the same thing. I told her she is creative also and her heart-felt response was almost too confident as if to say, "yes, dad. I already know that." Her actions and seeking approval is just another form of the same question she always asks, "Am I lovely?"


The weekend was a big success even though I didn't get Good Friday off work. I'll fix that next year with a floating holiday. Several other pictures and stories from the past week wait patiently on my computer and in my head. Unfortunately I've chosen other things like the Laker's playoff games and mountain bike riding.

No comments: