Saturday, April 16, 2011

A Day Without Tears

Greetings friends and family,

People are starting to wonder about my well-being. My back problems had me holed up for a more than a week then I came down with the same snotty virus Easton and Layla have been battling. I cancelled almost all work and friend activities for the last 3 weeks or so. My energy levels sustained me for the basics of life and doing my part at home with Kendr and the twins. It's time to get back in the daily routine of things.

I'm planning a short trip out of town for a work conference and Kendra asked me what I look forard to the most. I quickly replied with a list something like this:

1. A day without tears. I can't remember if a single day passed since the birth of Easton and Layla where someone didn't cry. Other than my time away from home for vacations and work I'm fairly certain the answer is never. Hearing babies and kids cry doesn't bother me one bit and hasn't for a very long time. However, prior to having kids my reaction was similar to how someone reacts to fingernails on a chalk board. Now it's just a part of everyday life, but I am looking forward to making it through an entire day without hearing or seeing someone cry.

2. Enjoying meals. I won't have to encourage anyone to eat or specify in what order to eat it. I won't have to continually monitor and correct improper manners or behavior. Food will be fresh-out-of-the-oven hot instead of mildly warm because I spent the last 30 minutes helping the twins eat only to find my options are to eat cold food or nuke it.

3. Getting ready in the morning and for bedtime will take 12 minutes instead of 90. The routine each night of bath, books, bed includes many additional minutes not labeled in the "3 B's". Brushing teeth, refilling waters, lotion, pajamas, tracking down blankies, and dozens of other items on the agenda turn each night into a marathon. When I am gone it will take me 12 minutes to get myself from the front door into bed. That will be wonderful. When I am responsible for getting the twins ready for the day it honestly takes 90 minutes. no kidding.

4. working late without regret. Each evening in my daily life includes sitting at my desk trying to finish work early because I know Easton and Layla are waiting for me at home. Also, I know Kendra is doing her best to survive. These two factors lead me to go home as soon as possible when my must-do work is finished. Then I log back in once the kids go to bed and complete the left over work. When I am gone for my trip there will be no guilt or gnawing desire to close up shop early because I can't go home to Kendra and Easton and Layla.

5. Wiping only one nose: mine. As opposed to the past few weeks of wiping three noses all day. It sounds so minor, but I've spent literally hours of my weeks wiping noses so I won't miss that one bit.

Even with all of the things I'm looking forward to about my trip it will be short lived and empty satisfaction after the first day. I'll be missing Kendra and the twins terribly no matter how much fun I'm having. The flight home will be terribly long because I'll be more than ready to be home with my family.

So what's been happening around our house??? We are mattress shopping. Our king sized pillow top bed feels like sleeping in a hollowed out canoe after almost 9 years. Easton had the most fun of any of us by running up and down the aisles with his dragon.


Layla was more interested in the experience of lying on the beds and cuddling up on the contour pillows. She was as conversational with the sales guy as Kendra was. Big shocker there.


We didn't pick one out, but we are leaning heavily towards a foam mattress like the TempurPedic, iComfort, and Comforpedic. We're in no hurry, but eventually we'll squeeze out the huge hunk of cash necessary to sleep comfortably. Besides all of the shopping and purpose it made for a fun afternoon outing.

Then we went to the book store where Easton and Layla took over the childs area to hear Kendra test out an Olivia book.


Who'd have thought that a book about pigs would be so captivating?

I took the twins to the weeeee-bump park for some outdoor sand fun before dinner one night. The outing was much less fun because I realized after arriving at the park that the sand toys were in the garage! arrrrgh. We improvised and made the most of it anyway. Easton is coming into his own socially speaking. He invited the unknown boy to dig volcanos with him and they even spoke to each other a few times. Very rare for boys at this age from what I hear.


Lately I've sensed a change in maturity with the twins. For the past couple of years they are both go-go-going so much. It's rare for either of them, let alone both of them, to sit or lay calmly for any length of time. I took advantage of the moment and caught a picture of what that looks like.


I consider it a real treat when both of them rest on my arm as we talked about God knows what.

Ben and Trinity visited for a few hours at our house. Kendra and the twins were all excited to have them over. They are great kids and interact well with Easton and Layla. They brought rollerblades and joined in with Easton and Layla playing in the cul-de-sac. Kendra and I were talking today about how great it is to live in a cul-de-sac on a dead end street. Almost zero traffic and we feel very safe with them playing out there. I suppose owning a 5 acre ranch would be better, but we're content with what we have.


Inside, Ben helped Easton build a world-class course for Thomas and Friends. That'll remain up and running for several days until Easton gets tired of it. Then we'll put it back in the closet and rotate it in again later.


Kendra and the twins took advantage of the heat wave by getting wet at the zoo splash pad. Easton's new-found bravery led him to tackle the dark tunnel and run under some heavy water falls. It makes me proud to see him dismiss fears and gain self-confidence.


We still have the double stroller for one reason... The zoo. This is the only time when Kendra straps the kids in. she does this because it's insanely crowded at times and she want's to come home with as many children as she went there with.


The twins "helped" me wash Kendra's car. They grabbed a handful of soap bubbles from the bucket and smeared it on the headlights. Then they spent the rest of the time splashing in the puddles and running in the street. I joined them and have to admit it is as fun as they think it is.


We played hide-and-seek inside while waiting for dinner one evening. As much as we tell them not to play in Momma's curtains it is just too easy to hide there. They were wound up like a top and having a great time as you can see.


Then a funny thing happened. Layla was hiding behind the curtains and a random beach towel. I took a picture and when I looked at it I had serious flashbacks. I thought, "where have I seen that look before?"


I dug back through the archive and found this picture of Layla chewing on the ear of a stuffed animal dog.


Then I went back even further and found the original picture and realized there is definitely a pattern here!


Seeing those old pictures of Layla floods my brain with the sweet memories of her as a baby. Thank God I have a ton of pictures to look through. That's one thing I'll never regret is taking too many pictures. Never heard anyone on their death bed say, "If only I hadn't taken so many pictures of my kids". :)

See you soon!

No comments: