Thursday, April 28, 2011

Mattress Smells

Hi friends and family,

Rhino, where have you been on Skype and email? Are you rockin' the 14.4 baud modem in France or something? call me, dude.

The big news for the Webb household is the new arrival of our new bed. I could have bought a used car for the amount we spent on the bed. Since we already have two good cars and recently replaced the washer and dryer it seems like the logical next big purchase. The last bed was bought hastily the week after our wedding almost 9 years ago. I had a Uhaul, cash, and a new house with an empty master bedroom. We haven't regretted the bed we bought, but it's just getting old and saggy.

I read instructions online for how to break in a foam mattress. Supposedly, walking on it for 30 minutes a day in concentric circles for the first week will do the trick. Then I started thinking... I have a new mattress, Easton and Layla, and instructions encouraging jumping and walking on it. That's a great formula for a license to break the rules. So we did.


Kendra gave the green light for them to bounce around and all three of them had a ball. Then Kendra's legs started burning so it was my turn to join in the fun. We played Ring-a-ring-a-roses to accomplish the stated goal of breaking in the bed as well as the unwritten goal of wearing out the twins for bed time.


I took a short unscripted video of the twins valiantly fulfilling the call of duty. The bed smells horrific and that is a fact. I just can't believe the two of them simultaneously described the smell in the same way. I think the toxic fumes were so unfamiliar to Easton and Layla's nose they didn't know any other way to describe it. Hilarious...



The next picture of Layla is significant not because she is dressed as a princess fairy or playing with her phone. It is significant because of her unexpected grown-up response.


I called for her and didn't get a response so I went to go find her. I walked into the room and she was pretending to talk on the phone. I asked her to come to front room and she held up her hand with one figure and said, "just a second, Daddy. Can't you see I'm talking on the phone?" and then proceeded to pretend talking to Snow White. She was giggling and knew both of us had just entered a scene of some play or movie. She wasn't being rebellious and so I played along for a couple of minutes. She finished her call and said, "Snow White said to tell you hello. and by the way, you're supposed to say' excuse me' if you need to interrupt someone on the phone."

It's already started and she's only three? Life gets more fun every day with these two characters.

See you soon!

1 comment:

R said...

Bro, I am here, just haven't had time to sit down at the computer and the 8 or 9 hour time gap makes it difficult to call. Will call soon though, I promise. This weekend in fact. Love the kids' description of the bed. Mine smells that way too, but it isn't new. I blame my wife.