Thursday, May 20, 2010

Uno and Dos

Hi friends and family,

I'm still running on fumes instead of sleep, but today was the biggest day of my career so it's all been worth it. I formed a global task force to solve a big problem and received a personal "thank you" email for fixing it from the CIO and every manager in between. In 13 years of working here I've never received so much as a head nod in the hallway from anyone above my immediate boss.

That being said, the BEST part of my day was eating a fresh taco salad with Kendra and the twins for dinner. To be more specific Easton and I made whoopee cushion noises with our mouths spraying guacamole all over his tray. I used to never get away with that kind of stuff, but now I have two excuses... Easton and Layla.

As a tribute to the current immigration debate raging in Arizona I will refer to the twins as "Uno and Dos" until further notice. And I'm boycotting Twinkies and The Weather Channel for unknown reasons.

Here’s a video of an unlikely event where Uno and Dos were playing on the railroad tracks. I looked down the track and saw a faint light. I thought, “that’s odd. Trains don’t normally run this early in the evening”. Then I put my ear on the track to see if I could hear or feel the train vibrations indicating one was imminent. I didn’t hear or feel anything! I’ve been lied to all my life. What a sham.

Anyway, it was moving slowly so I buckled up Uno and Dos in the Chariot, hopped on my bike and pedaled my heart out to reach the intersection where I knew the conductor would be blowing his horn. Then it came by in all its glory. Honking the horn, dinging the bell, chugging down the tracks. It looked like this:



Easton says, “…it’s getting louder and louder!” Layla covers her eyes because she doesn’t understand sound is processed through the ears. After it went by I asked Easton, “Did you see the engineer?” He looked at me perplexed and said, “you mean conductor?” Then I smacked my head as if I could have had a V-8. I didn’t realize my 2 year old would be correcting my words this early in life, but he sure is a smart one.

Layla can spell her name and cat. “C-A-T, cat” is the way she says it. When asked how to spell dog she says, “C-A-T, dog”. We’ll have to work on that, but progress is all i can hope for.

See you soon!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ok--Auntie Joanie is now terrified with your railway incident. Can you just have the rule to see the track near the closest part of the escapeway and not adventure down the tracks?????.And please say that you keep the front door locked at allll times...I'm having super-hyped mommy protective instincts right now. Keep it safe! We love you!

The Four Webbs said...

Joanie,

Thanks for the concern and I can see how the proximity of the train to where the video was taken. We had to take a 3/4 mile bike ride to get to this intersection because there is no other entry point to get close to the trains due to the huge wall separating our subdivision and the tracks. that should provide some comfort, right? Also, there is a big, wide service road on either side of the tracks and we could have safely stayed where we were and watched the train pass by. but i didn't want the conductor to call the cops on me. :)