Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Bert's nap and sunglasses

For this next clip, watch it and imagine:
Bert = Easton
Ernie = Layla



poke, poke, poke, poke, poke!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G0OdKLZstI

The depiction of Bert and Ernie at nap time is relevant because Layla no longer takes a nap. OK, maybe every few days she will go to sleep, but most of the time she just sings, reads, bounces on her mattress, and talks to Easton. I'm certain if she were able to escape her crib she would walk over to Easton and do exactly what Ernie did to Bert. As I was driving to work yesterday, the Sesame Street clip above popped into my head as one of those odd memory lane moments. I can't remember what I ate for breakfast, but for some reason I remember this entire old-school skit, word for word. As I watched again today I noticed the tragically pathetic quality of the voices and puppets. It was way cooler in my memory from childhood...

By the way, Layla did find a way to unzip her crib tent twice. Neither of us can figure out how Houdini does it, but she climbed out of her crib and casually found mommy to tell her of the great escape. Easton, on the other hand, dozes off at the drop of a hat and stays asleep even through Layla's ear piercing screams of laughter.

Anyway, guess who has a long index finger and learned to pick HIS nose by watching Layla? This guuuuuuuuy.


He's like the Terminator nose picker in those sunglasses. "I'll be back... for another booger". I'm not looking forward to the day they discover eating boogers. For now they make the "yucky face", say "eeeeewwwww that's yucky" and wipe it on the nearest adult's shirt. Lucky me.

Layla is really getting the hang of the sit-n-spin Aunt Mary gave us. My family knows the history I have with the sit-n-spin so maybe this is an effort to rewrite the history books and provide a "wholesome" sit-n-spin experience for Easton and Layla.


During our daily trip to the mailbox Easton and Layla both walk straight over to the area where the massive line of ants are marching. They point at them, look at me, and say, "Just like Bugs Life!"


Their perception is correct so I nod my head and agree with them. However, I don't know why they go through the same motion every time with such excitement. You'd think it was their first time to see an animal. Their genuine emotion is refreshing, but perplexing. I know those sunglasses are not supposed to fit like that, but I couldn't get either of them to hold their head still long enough for me to figure it out.

Layla threw in a little Tai Chi for exercise.


Some things never change. Here's Layla at 10 months beginning her Tai Chi movements:


Awe... She was just as sweet back then. Speaking of sweet, who's that tough guy in the Team Steam pajamas?


Easton looks more like a young man every day. Yesterday I noticed a change. He used to ignore my request when I said, "come over here, Easton" because he didn't understand the words. Now he understands the words, but still ignores me. One step at a time, right?

Here is the run-on sentence Easton came up with as I walked in the door from work tonight:

Yea Daddy is home come and sit down, daddy, sit down play cars with daddy.

That made my day. Coming in from my stressful day of work to do something simple like play cars with Easton was exactly what the doctor ordered. Life doesn't get much simpler than making motor noises to accompany a matchbox car.

See you soon!

No comments: