Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Playmates and Pomegranates

Howdy folks,

The 4 Webbs hit a few practical limits over the past few days, which led to a variety of enlightening moments.

Now we know the practical limit for occupancy of the cardboard box Mickey Mouse Clubhouse is 2, not 3. No matter how small the people are... Our friend Daniel came by to hang out for a while with the twins and as you can see he and Layla play well together.


But adding that third person in the clubhouse means arms and legs are tangled everywhere. It's unclear who is encroaching on whose space because everyone is guilty at this point.


However, kids are excellent when it comes to forgiveness so there were plenty of hugs to go around.


Daniel is 6 months older than our twins so I am always interested to observe him. He is a benchmark for what I expect to have double the pleasure of when Easton and Layla reach that age.
2:00 PM is a practical limit for how long the twins can bounce, hop, and jump in their cribs before wearing down enough to sleep at nap time. Easton has his pillow, blankey, and thumb. That combination should be the magic potion for sleep, but not today.


Usually they are fast asleep by 1:15, but today they pushed mommy to the limit by staying awake while playing happily in their crib until 2:00. I'm sure Kendra will miss nap time when they no longer require it.

I was able to spend some time with my friend Eugene and as we strolled through the strip mall we ended up in Sprouts, the local organic grocery store. Passing through the fruits and vegetables I noticed the display of pomegranates. Having never eaten one I engaged in a long conversation with Eugene and produce guy about the health benefits of eating pomogranates. I'm always up for an adventure so I placed one in my basket. The produce guy handed me a brochure and unfolded it like this:


He didn't get into details, but said, "it's very easy to eat pomegranates, you just have to know how to do it". I don't know about you, but I've never bothered to eat anything which required pages of instructions and pictures. At this point I almost gave up on the idea, but went ahead and purchased the expensive difficult fruit.

Here is where the practical limit comes in for me: If it takes more hands-on time to prepare a piece of food than it does to eat it, then I don't bother. Kendra assured me it wasn't a big deal and luckily she was willing to follow the instructions this morning while I changed diapers for the twins.

Yes, the pomegranate tasted good, but not only was it difficult and messy to get to the edible seeds, it took some coordination to eat the good part and spit out the inedible seeds. I added this into the same category as artichokes (Not worth my time). Good experience, but I probably won't bother again any time soon with pomegranates even if they go on sale!

I had to discipline Layla and that experience was dramatically different than I expected. She knowingly disobeyed after repeated warnings and promises of punishment if her behavior didn't change. Unfortunately she chose poorly and I had to follow through with the discipline. That was one of the most emotionally difficult things I've ever done and I hope to never do that again. Please, Layla, just obey your parents! She made it sooooo hard to follow through and actually discipline her because she stuck out her pouty lip and repeatedly said, "I sorry daddy, I sorry daddy!" even as I carried her into their bedroom. I swear it felt like my heart was being ripped out as I fought back tears of my own.

I thought I would look forward to correcting and making sure Easton and Layla are headed down the right path of life, but I'm finding it really requires is for me to be the best role model I can be and a man of my word to follow through as Kendra and I set boundaries for them to develop within.

I'll have to write more on this successful, but difficult milestone. It is only considered a success because Kendra and I provided a unified, consistent set of boundary conditions.

My old friend, who I've heard through the grapevine is expecting triplets, is planning to bring them into the world this week. God bless him! God never gives anyone more than they can handle. Because of this universal truth we only have twins and not triplets.

See you soon!

3 comments:

Kyla said...

Pomegranates are yummy! Also, you can eat the seeds. You don't have to spit them out, they're not like orange seeds or watermelon seeds. They are easily edible. Think of them like the white watermelon seeds...it will take away some of the "work" taht goes into eating the POM. They're very VERY good for you too. Landon loves them!

Anonymous said...

It really is good that the father & mother disciplines their children! God is such a good example-He disciplines those He loves and knows it's for their own good. The results from lack of discipline will sure bring more future tears than "nipping it in the bud" now! Your kids will thank you later. Love ya gobs, MOM

Anonymous said...

Wow all I can say is that you are a great writer! Where can I contact you if I want to hire you?