Sunday, November 8, 2009

Hats and Lullabies

Oh, what a difference a year and half makes! Here's a Way Back Whensday picture for your Monday morning. Easton and Layla were only 4 months old in this picture of them swimming in the pool while wearing their sunscreen hats.


Just add 17 months and lots of yogurt and BAM! Instant toddler. Layla wouldn't give up on forcing that hat to fit. She must have been thinking, "I just KNOW this hat fit me only a short time ago... why doesn't it fit?"


Easton tried his hat on inside out. Possibly an attempt to see if wearing it that way would fit better? We have to toss those hats in the garbage soon.


We walked through the cafeteria-style line of the local Chipotle and the girls behind the counter were enthralled with Easton. One of them said, "He's so handsome, I bet he'll break a lot of girls' hearts, huh." While I appreciate the compliment, there wasn't enough time for me to explain my thoughts on Easton's future. I'm hoping to raise him as a gentleman and hopefully avoid breaking hearts of girls. However, you can't choose who (or how many) girls fall in love with you and I hope to raise an upstanding young man who girls will want to fall in love with.

Wow, that's thinking waaaayyyy down the road. Anyway, Layla is on her way to becoming an ultra-stylish doctor.

Ultra-stylish (notice the leopard print heels):

Doctor (notice the stethoscope and reaching out to hear daddy's heart):


Daddy's heart is saying, "please don't grow up, my sweet princess!" Easton, on the other hand, could very well become a race car driver. He's already got the outfit and loves cars! Now, if he can just figure out how to drive one handed so he doesn't have to remove his thumb?


My Lullabies:

I created a special song for each of the twins and I sing it for them at least once per day, usually at night when we put them to bed. I've threatened to create a video clip of me singing the songs, but just can't bring myself to put something like that on digital media.

For Layla I made up words that follow the tune of Frere Jacques:

Lovely Layla, Lovely Layla
Yes you are, you're my star
Sweetie, sweetie peanut
Daddy's little princess
Layla Rae is sweet all day

Over the past few weeks she started singing it with me and requesting it at night saying, "Layla's song? Layla's song?" The best part of the song is that no matter how wound up or playful she is, after the last line of the song she always gives a huge sigh of relaxation. As if to say, "ahhhh, I feel much better now".

Easton's song is to a tune I have no idea where it came from and goes like this:

Easton Troy
is such a good boy
Happy and healthy, smart and strong
Daddy's little helper
Mommy's little belcher
Smile, smile all day long

That second line is part of the blessing I pray over him every day. From the time before the twins were even born I declared by faith they would be happy, healthy, smart, and strong. That's not too much to ask. :) As for the "mommy's little belcher" line, that comes from when he was just a baby still spitting up after every meal. He had a knack for doing that at inopportune moments, which caused several wardrobe changes for Kendra and I over the course of those first few months of their life.

Our weekend was filled with trips to the park and shopping for necessities. We ate for free while wandering around Costco!


Of course we spent over $100 on bulk quantities of Pirates Booty and SuperFood, etc. I wouldn't exactly call that a "free" lunch...

Happy Monday to you and stop by again soon!

No comments: