Thursday, November 5, 2009

Let's talk, shall we?

Hi friends and family,

Thanks to Michaela for pointing out in a comment to my last post how pomegranate seeds can be eaten along with the juicy part. That makes the experience much less like shelling sunflower seeds. :)

Today's post will be bookmarked in my list of favorites because we reached a milestone. One day Layla will ask, "when I start talking? I mean, not just a few individual words, but when did I really start talking?" Well, today was that magic day. To say her ability to communicate took a leap forward is the understatement of the year.

Each morning the twins wake up before Kendra and I. I know to be true because I can't remember the last time (if ever) when we woke up and walked into their room to find them sleeping soundly as the sun breaks through the slats in the window blinds. No, that isn't the way things happen around here at the Casa de Webbs.

The reality is this: Kendra and I agree the night before (usually) who will be the one to wake up with the twins so the other person can ease into the morning by sleeping in and leisurely waking up. I highly recommend this "agreement" if as a couple you like to sleep in more than your kids.

Layla usually wakes up first. I know this because she talks to Easton and wakes him up. The two of them proceed to read the pre-staged books in their crib and drink from the pre-staged leak-proof sippy cups. Between the books, the cup, and each other they carry on happily for 30-40 minutes before either of us are coherently awake enough to go change their diapers, which are bloated and heavy from all the water they drank.

Usually I can hear Layla clearly spouting off words: "cup... Easton... eat... window... outside..." and during the day she and Easton throw together some multi-word combinations such as: "look at pictures?", "train coming?", and "Oh my goodness!" However, this morning was noticeably different.

Kendra drew the short straw and I slept in a few extra minutes. She went in to greet the twins and change diapers as usual. I vacillated in and out of consciousness while my brain fought accepting the fact that it was time to wake up. Then I heard Layla and Kendra carrying on a full conversation. Layla used complete sentences and her words weren't merely parroting (or echoing) Kendra. I finally realized what was happening and it felt like one of those "twilight zone" or Alfred Hitchcock story lines. Out loud I said, "Is my baby conversing with my wife?" (my subconscious hasn't caught up with the idea of referring to the twins as "toddlers" yet)

As with all situations in life, I did not focus on the immediate impact of the situation. My thoughts are usually towards to future and thinking, "what does this mean for tomorrow, next month, next year, etc.?"

This means we will have fewer quiet moments in the Casa de Webb from now on. The house used to be filled with Kendra's voice and the occasional cry or noise from one of the babies. Now it is like walking into a cocktail party when I come home from work. :)

Today I walked in from the garage and asked, "what did you see at the zoo today?" Easton and Layla both fired off a list of animals they saw and even followed each name by imitating the sound they make. Oh, and Easton even threw in "tractor" because there was a tractor moving dirt for a construction effort by the elephants.

Easton is becoming more adventurous, creative, and organized with each passing day. He is standing on the rear wheels of the dolly stroller and attempting to ride it like a Roman chariot. All he needs are miniature horses to make it work.


He also uses the stroller as a shopping cart for organizational purposes. He regularly tosses baby Grace out of the stroller to make room for more important things like his Thomas the Train and sippy cup.


Layla wanted to be like Daddy so she brought the toy watch over to me saying, "watch on?" I was more than happy to oblige and as you can see she was excited to wear it and show Mommy!


Layla is also starting to be a big help in the kitchen. Well, she thinks she is helping...


That's a skillet with a lid and inside is a plastic hamburger patty. mmmMMM tasty!

See you soon!

1 comment:

Scott & Marisue said...

Did you do a little "photoshopping" on this picture? It looks like Layla's left leg is completely missing!