Sunday, May 27, 2012

Comicon and Symphony

Greetings friends and family,

The 4 Webbs snagged free tickets from my work to attend Cirque de la Symphonie, which they describe as, "The Magic of Cirque at the Music Hall" unfortunately they don't allow any pictures and since my iPhone - Picasa - Photoshop - Blogger.com combination will NOT allow me to rotate the picture and successfully upload it to the post, you get to see this one upside down...


We arrived early to get good seats, then asked around to find out what we can do to waste time.  With 4-year-olds it is a bad idea to sit down for an hour before sitting down for 90 of a show.  We noticed lots of bizarre costumed people wandering the streets, but I thought it was just Phoenix getting weird.  We found out Comicon was in town and free to go check it out!  I have no idea why there were so many zombies, wolfs, vampires, and other creepy costumes.

Too bad we missed seeing Wil Wheaton, but right off the bat we saw a great costumed Darth Vader who gladly held Easton and I captive with his litesaber up against our neck for dramatic effect.


I'm ashamed to admit I only recognized about one out of every 20 costumes.  I guess many of them are online gaming characters or TV shows I've never even heard of.  Luckily Easton and Layla recognized only the prominent ones as well.  Layla has a new superhero to add to her imagination.


And on the way out we were in a hurry, but Layla saw Jasmine across the room and I gladly took the time for her to get a picture.  Disneyland is going to be off the hook!  I know this because Easton and Layla's excitement for the random recognizable character brought smiles to Kendra and I.


We sat patiently in the symphony hall and when the lights went down, show time was amazing.  There were many children there and the dress code was ridiculously lacking (even for casual Phoenix).  It was an odd atmosphere compared to my experiences with the  symphony, but perfect for introducing the twins to the classical music genre.  We often listen to classical in the car and I make a game out of identifying the correct instruments playing.  This was a whole new level of interactive compared to my games.

The circus acts provided a good visual stimulation to keep Easton and Layla interested while the symphony played with excellence.  Easton liked the man and woman who flew through the air on what looked like drapes hanging from a rope.  Layla liked the strong men who slowly positioned themselves in extremely talented balancing postures together.  I realize most 4-year-olds don't get these kind of opportunities.  Most people of ANY age don't get these opportunities.  We are so blessed and grateful.

We arrived home satisfied from the energy-draining day of activities.  Easton filled his "fuzzy jar" through exceptional obedience (and the ability to get the largest available fuzzies from the storage bag).  His reward for good consequences sat enticingly in the den where he saw it every day for the past few weeks.  Now it's time to show him the magic of RC 4x4. 


I bought this on clearance from Radio Shack after Christmas and stored it away for this occasion.  He picked up the RC skills fairly quickly, but his small hands don't quite reach the trigger yet.  I would say, "He'll grow into it", but I know this thing will be trashed before the end of this year.  There is a price to pay for learning...  In this case it is $24.95.  I'd rather do it this way than buy him an expensive one and see it demolished.  :)

Some things haven't changed in the last few years including the entertainment value of hanging on my legs as I walk.  I need stronger legs...



Easton's Strep Throat is cured and we are all healthy for the long weekend with bonus vacation day Monday.  I can't believe May is almost gone already and summer is finally here!  Kendra's birthday is only a few days away.  She celebrated with a few different girl friends in different ways.  

See you soon!

No comments: