Tuesday, March 8, 2011

What I Want From Dad

Dad,

I just purchased and shipped one book for each of you (Oupa and Papa). You should get them in a few days so here is my request: Start writing when you receive it and you should finish next year in time for my birthday. :)

In all seriousness next year all I want for my birthday is a completed, hand-written journal from you. There is nothing anyone could buy for me that would mean more than reading and possessing your legacy.

Friends and family,

After spending two weeks with my parents and Kendra's parents I've had a few days to reflect. I enjoyed every minute with them, but missed some key opportunities. I've only been a father for 3 years so now I relate to them on a different level than ever before. The trouble is, at this point in my life I realize how much I don't know about them. I lived with my Dad for 20 years and there are some real basic questions about him I can't answer. I spent 13 of the last 26 weeks of 2010 in the same house with Kendra's Dad and can't help but notice my lack of history and insight about him.

I have questions about who is Dad and his life and childhood and values. I have no problem asking either of them questions. I'm not fearful in the slightest. I struggle because even if I ask meaningful questions and he gives meaningful answers it still exists only in his brain and now in my memory. What good is that to Easton and Layla? Not much when their discovery of their Grandpas depends on my less-than-stellar memory.

This is completely selfish, but I want my Dad's stories written on paper. Not their entire life story in a long book. I want stories from them, about them, and in their own hand writing. A video would be nice, but I want them to write openly and honestly with thoughtful answers. Videos tend to make people nervous and I don't want off-the-cuff information of what's on the tip of their tongue. I want them to dig deep into the past and into their character and experiences and document who they are in such a way I can keep it for myself and then give it to the twins when they grow up. I want to do this through a journal so I bought it and sent it to my Dads:

A Father's Legacy - Your Life Story in Your Own Words Journal - A Lasting Heritage for Your Children


Here is the book description:

This father's memory journal takes you on a journey that will become a cherished family memoir. Designed in a 12-month format, each month features 12 intriguing questions with space to write a personal answer. Questions explore family history, childhood memories, lighthearted incidents, cherished traditions, and the dreams and spiritual adventures encountered in a lifetime of living. Questions like, "describe the most fun you ever had on a Fourth of July." Or, "Who gave you your name and why? Did you have a nickname? How did you get it?" His written words become windows to a father's heart.

I am technically the legacy of my Dads, but I want to read and pass on their stories unfiltered to the twins. This is what I want from Dad. Hopefully Oupa and Papa will accept my request and challenge. Nothing like a little public peer pressure, huh?

See you soon!

No comments: