Tuesday, March 8, 2011

3 cheers for Spontaneity

Hi friends and family,

We are the 4 Webbs, not 5 or 6 or more. I'm a firm believer God will not give anyone more than they can handle. Our state of 4-ness exemplifies this principle. Many other parents are gifted to handle more than just two kids (Duggars have 19?) but we are very content with Easton and Layla. I'm sure we would do just fine with more kids, but both of us are at peace with our family size. After only knowing each other three weeks, Kendra and I agreed we desired two kids. Little did we know both of them would arrive at once. :)

Simple things in life such as preparing toast for breakfast are simpler with only 4 of us. Have you ever seen a 5 slice toaster??? Think I'll use that image for our profile picture...


The other day while home alone preparing dinner for Uno and Dos I sensed a lull in the normal evening noise level. "Quiet = cause for concern" is usually the default thought process. However, when I searched for the dynamic duo I found them sharing a make-shift bed engaged in a lengthy discussion. Their ability to grasp and express concepts through conversation amazes me. When they share and play together I'm proud of them for living out the "best friend" mentality we continually instill in them.


Yesterday was a big milestone. For the first time in three years... We were spontaneous! I arrived home from work to find the twins watching Kendra build a kite. The wind was blowing down the street, but not enough to get a kite airborne. I asked if they want to go fly it at the duck park and they responded with cheers and smiles. Then, we did the unthinkable... Kendra put the kite in the back of the Pilot, we jumped in the seats and we left!

No diaper bag, no wipes, no gear, no stroller, no food. All I did was open each rear door and hop in the front seat. Easton and Layla climbed inside, closed the door and buckled themselves into the car seat.

30 seconds after deciding to go DO something, we were backing out of the driveway. What a blissful moment. The short time required to get out the door gave us more time to fly the kite.


It's hard to get a size comparison of the kite, but it's roughly as tall as Easton and Layla. Luckily, both of them are heavy enough to avoid floating away with the strong gusts.


Easton's favorite part of the experience was letting go with one hand as the kite line spun off the spool like fishing line from a baitcasting fishing reel. Since I took the twins by myself we didn't manage to fly Easton's fighter jet kite. The only safe way to do this with twins is one kite at a time. After about 20 minutes of fun Easton drifted towards to playground equipment and sand. I consider it a successful trip even though the flight time of the kite was relatively short.


The part I like the most was celebrating spontaneity by jumping in the Pilot and driving away. It's a brave, new world for the 4 Webbs now that leaving the house isn't a 30 minute exercise.

Layla wanted to play doctor and I'm all for building a positive image of trips to the Pediatrician. Any time we can pretend to give shots with a smile and look in each other's nose is time well spent.

After I did the normal routine of checking, shots, band-aide, and listening to her heart it was Layla's turn. She put the stethoscope on my heart and listened for a few seconds. Then she said, "Daddy your heart is ok, but you need to shave your beard and cut your hair."


All I could say was, "OK, thanks doctor." After all, she is right! Nothing beats brutal honesty from a child. I shaved that evening and will get my hair cut tomorrow. Thank God for good health care.

See you soon.

No comments: