Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Potty Training Phase 2

Greetings friends and family,

Guess who is a potty trained Big Boy? This guy...


Easton finally did the number 2 on the big potty and we are crossing our fingers it means he will do it regularly from now on. I have not idea where his fear of doing it came from, but for whatever reason he's been defiant on this point for several months now. Kendra held strong though and didn't bend to his request to keep wearing diapers during the day. She actually went the opposite direction a few days ago and said, "if you can't use the big potty then you can't wear diapers OR big boy underwear. So he ran around naked all day. He even ate lunch with his tiny hiney on the cold seat. How's that for will power?


As a good consequence for his act of bravery Kendra was a woman of her word and followed through by taking the twins for a ride on the mall train. We've been dangling that carrot out there as a reward for several days. Kendra properly used the "positive reinforcement" method by taking them on the train ride as quickly as possible after his successful endeavor. From what I understand the reward should be given as close as possible to the correct behavior.

Kendra called me at work because Easton wanted to share the exciting news. I was happy she called and equally excited for Easton. The problem is that the corporate world frowns on screaming in my cubical, "Wooo Hoooo! You POOPED in the potty!" I had to run down the hall into a conference for an appropriate celebration and play by play review of the big day.

Sometimes I come up with off-the-wall activities for us to do during playtime. An example is fixing Kendra's bike. It rested motionless on our garage wall for the past three years and I figured it was time to give it a once-over and see what needs attention. One obvious area is the tires. Easton and Layla sat down with me and I showed them how to remove the tire from the wheel and replace the tube. They were fascinated by the concept and kept wanting to squeeze the tube.

Watching two toddlers attempt to use teamwork for pumping a bike tire was humorous to say the least.


Layla kept trying to organize the task and coordinate who does what. Easton just wanted to pump away to hear the hissing noise as air squeezed into the tube. They are both great helpers though. My biggest challenge was keeping them from tripping over the hose and stepping on the spokes. Balance seems to be one of those things beyond the reach of a toddler.

I took an early morning ride and watched the sunrise as I waited for my riding buddies. Riding mountain bikes is my happy place. If I were independently wealthy I would take family trips to trails around the world for mountain bike excursions.
If I had to answer the question, "what are you passionate about?" My answer is (besides Kendra and the twins): Mountain Biking!


We took a short break at the top of a peak and I seized the opportunity of having a third person riding with us to be the camera man.


See you soon!

No comments: