Sunday, August 9, 2009

Happy 7th Anniversary

To my wonderful wife and mother of our twins: Thank you for sharing in the adventures over the past seven years and helping me become the husband and father I need to be. I promise to take you to Hawaii on or before our 25th wedding anniversary.

Good Monday morning everyone! Seven years ago today Kendra and I pulled off a spectacular wedding where our journey through life together began.


Of course I have the standard feelings of amazement this many years have gone by, but I am also very grateful for our relationship. We have grown closer every year and worked through some incredible issues within ourselves as well.

She is a mirror God uses to reflect everything about me. My strengths, my failures, my character, and my lifestyle. This I know is truth after 7 years of marriage. There is no where to hide, no way to pretend for this long, which means she knows the real me. I've been able to fool many people for weeks or months, but not years... Kendra and I are purposefully involved in each others lives in every single aspect because that is what it takes to intimately know someone. The idea of being a team (with the twins) and lovers as well as friends is the perfect situation in my opinion. We're still working to balance those daily.

The most important attribute I see in Kendra is willingness to change. I didn't know the crucial nature of this character trait prior to marriage, but I am so lucky to have Kendra role model this daily for me and our twins. I'm not talking about my forcing her to change who she is or her character. I'm talking about willingness to be open and work through issues together, continually. Does it get tiring? Absolutely, but I know no matter what happens to us or around us, we will always have the desire and initiative to get through it together.

Just for old times sake, here are a few pictures of us from the past. This is the first picture of us from just a few days after we met:


and this one of us all dressed up for the white party. Good times...


And one of my favorites from our trip to Greece:


Seeing these pictures really highlights how old I'm getting (yikes).

According to tradition, I should get Kendra something made of copper or wood. Seriously? What in the world is made of copper or wood suitable for a woman in 2009? Nothing she desires or has ever mentioned is made of wood or copper (unless wicker counts). Think I'll stick with something less traditional and more creative. :) Be sure to call Kendra if you get a chance and tell her happy anniversary.

Bye bye.

1 comment:

aunt joanie said...

I remember that beautiful wedding! What a great setting and what an amazing couple. You have grown together and changed, yes, but you've kept each other!! It's special to watch you through the years. I hope you get to Hawaii before 25 years, but that's when the college funds get depleated and the spending on their weddings begins....It will fly by and we'll be seeing Layla's gorgeous gown...Don't blink!