Saturday, August 20, 2011

We're MOVING!

Greetings friends and family,

I struggle with the overuse of exclamation marks in today's FaceBook society. However, the news of our latest develop deserves a whole paragraph of exclamation marks. Please excuse my blatant disregard for grammatically correct punctuation as I share the excitement.

What a month so far for the 4Webbs... 7 weeks of travel followed by 2 weeks of Kendra's Mom (thank God), then Kendra's knee surgery and my Mom staying a week (Thank God). The very next week we expected things to level out into the normal, hum-drum life. Not a chance.

The 4Webbs are buying a home! After 4.5 years of renting, saving, researching, and praying the time has come for us to step back into home ownership. I would stay out for another 2+ years because Ben Bernanke is destroying our country like Satan's right hand man, but my Aunt Mary made us the offer of a lifetime in the exact week when interest rates are the lowest in 50 years.

Kendra and I described our dream house four years ago and we've been waiting patiently, prayerfully for the right timing and situation. This is what we asked God to provide:

Must have:
1 story
5 - 10 minutes from freeway
Built since 1990
2200+ sq. ft.
2+ bath
3+ car garage
4+ bedrooms
Not the most expensive or largest home in the subdivision.
Local fire department / schools
location in one of two zip codes

Desires:
Pool
Hot tub
Stucco with tile roof
Split floor plan
Large Patio
Desert landscaping
10 minutes or less to grocery store
less than 30 minutes to major airport
less than 15 minutes to work
Large tile or wood flooring (bedrooms can be carpet)
Automatic yard sprinkler system
Flat-top stove
Water softener or filter system
Storage space in garage
Backs to a green belt

Must NOT:
have A/C on roof
be located in flood zone or "health warning" areas
be close to railroad tracks or power lines
be close to or on a main road be close to stop sign
be within .25 miles of a freeway

I believe in being specific with requests especially when it comes to hopes and dreams. Here is a picture of Easton and Layla standing in front of our new home which matches every single one of our requests to the letter and then some.


and here is a picture of the back yard from the wonderful greenbelt behind it.


These pictures were taken 6 MONTHS ago! The house belongs to my Aunt Mary who is graciously selling it to us at a price we can afford. This isn't just "A" house. it is "THE" house.

This is the house where I lived after moving from Missouri to Phoenix when I graduated college. This is the house where I interviewed by my manager (Mary's neighbor) and was hired into the same company I still work for today.

This is the backyard where I spent summers lounging by the pool overlooking the greenbelt.


This is the hot tub where I decided to move to Phoenix. On a clear, warm March evening I sat comfortably in the hot tub with Mary and Dave looking up at the stars. At the same time I talked with my Mom back in Missouri where she described the bitter cold and snow falling on the frozen ground. That's the moment I knew I would move to Phoenix after graduation. This is also the backyard where I slow danced with Kendra and asked her to be my wife.


This is the kitchen where Mary and Dave watched through the blinds as I proposed and then celebrated with flowers and the cake after she said, "yes".


I even have a short video clip of that memorable night.



This is the living room where we spent many Christmas and Thanksgiving gatherings with family.


This is the porch where we spent countless evenings watching flight patterns for the jets landing at the downtown airport.


This is the driveway where I carefully drove Uncle Dave's hot rod in and out of the garage for his weekly run to get groceries, medication, and acceleration thrills.


This is the master bedroom where I spent virtually every Tuesday talking with Uncle Dave before and after going out for tacos.


This is the living room where Mary and Dave held Easton and Layla two days after they were born.


This is the pool where the last picture of Uncle Dave was taken before he passed away. The last time he ever saw daylight he spent it with me helping label the pool pumps so I know how to run it when he's gone.


And now, this is the home where I will raise my children. As I said, this is not just a house... It's THE house because of the long, amazing history I shared with Kendra and Mary and Dave. Timing is everything! The events of the past few days prove God's faithfulness and Mary's compassion for a second chance. We are locked in for a 4.125% rate on a home we could never afford otherwise. The loan officer said my loan is the lowest home purchase 30-year fixed rate he's ever given in his 30 years as a loan officer.

One last video clip gives a nauseous tour of the house as I attempted to round up everyone for some adventure back in 2002.



Kendra has been so patient and supportive of my real estate decisions. She trusted me to buy our first home and agreed to buy it without ever even seeing it. She trusted me to sell our home and move across the street into the rental even when everyone else was making fun of us. She trusted me to sit tight and wait year after year while not decorating the house like she wanted. My Dad always taught me to wait and be patient before making a decision. Those lessons guide my daily life more all the time. Now Kendra trusts me to make the most expensive purchase in our lifetime.

I'm having a hard time accepting the reality that not only are we buying a home after watching real estate lose 54% of its value, but we are able to buy the perfect home in the perfect location without taking on more debt than we can handle.

We plan to close on the house in seven weeks. Our new house is .7 miles away from where we live today, but we still have to pack just like we were driving 500 miles away. Mid-October will be here before we know it especially since we'll be packing and planning every spare second we get. :)

See you soon!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS! How wonderful for you 5! (Great for Mary to have an awesome buyer!) Hooray for Kendra to finally have a place of her own to decorate, design and use all her creative skills. Wonderful for you to be surrounded by all the fabulous memories. Spectacular that you are buying at just the right time for the perfect interest rates. God is good. He knows just what you need. You've been ready for a house for a while. He brought you something so special!!
--joanie

The Four Webbs said...

Thank you for the well wishes, Joanie. You're right, Kendra has been ready for a house since the day we moved from our last one. She's been glued to the DIY blogs and websites coming up with tons of ideas for how to personalize the new place. We are both happy to be moving across the street as opposed to the far away moves some people have to go through when leaving town.

Szolusha said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Szolusha said...

congrats! I am so excited for the Webbs! I love your posts. Especially this one. It took me everything to hold back tears since I am reading this at work :)
Love, Bri

The Four Webbs said...

Thanks Bri! It's great to know how well I'm doing in my efforts to communicate through the blog posts. Good luck helping with your friend's who are having twins. I'm sure you know what they are going through just by reading our adventures. :)

R said...

Congratulations my friend. I remember that house well as it was my hotel for my first visit to Phoenix. If I ever get back from parts unknown, I hope to get an invite to get our growing families together and enjoy that pool. Love ya brother and give the rest of your troop our best.

The Four Webbs said...

Rhino, I'm hoping to visit you before you visit me, but I'll be happy with whatever order of visits occurs. I'm still looking for you on Skype occasionally, but need to figure out time-zone overlap.

Scott & Marisue said...

We are THRILLED for you! What an answer to prayer. The right house at the right time. Decorating the house will be right up Kendra's alley (certainly not mine...as evidenced by the lack of it in our house!). Let us know when you need our help. We would love to pitch in where ever you need us. Sounds like the new house is big enough to house all the upcoming parties/events! Woo-hoo! So exciting to see God's blessing poured out on the four Webbs.

Anonymous said...

Happy for you to finally land a special place for your family to live. I know that house has many memories, both happy and sad. I remember the excitement we had getting ready to move to a new house/town. Blessings to you & love ya gobs. MOM