Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Hall of Flames 2

Greetings friends and family,

Preschool days are turning out to be a real blessing for Kendra and fun for the twins. Easton was sick so didn't get to go yesterday. I hoped Layla would do well without her best friend in the group of strangers and kids. She did great and I dare say she didn't even miss him or us for that matter. Knowing she is comfortable already in the new environment isn't surprising, but reassuring none the less.

One evening while the twins played together Easton called me into his room to show what they were doing. I walked in and found them bragging about their two puppies napping.


Awe, the cute puppies are wrapped up in Easton and Layla's Nunu resting peacefully. I took a closer look and thought how familiar the scene looked.


Then it hit me and I couldn't help but laugh at how life flows. Here are Easton and Layla only hours after making their entrance into the world.


I found the situation to be very peculiar, but it wasn't worth attempting to explain it to Easton and Layla. I'm working hard to find the balance of how to teach the twins. Easton dove into his first iterative "why?" conversation with me today. I answered one of his questions and his response was, "but why?" We went through a few rounds of that with a satisfactory ending. I didn't have to resort to my ace in the hole: "Because I said so". I hope to never have to use that, but my guess is that at some point I will run into a situation where no answer will suffice. I'll keep it handy...

On a hot afternoon I hung out Easton, Layla, Trinity, Ben, and their grandmother Linda. I'm not really good at just playing pretend with that many people. Besides, with the varying ages between the two sets of twins I had zero ideas of things to do around the house which would be interesting for everyone.

So I activated my fall-back plan: The Hall of Flames fireman museum. I've had a Groupon sitting idle for just such an occasion. It was time to cash it in. Easton was the only one of the kids who already knew what to expect. The other three kids were just as impressed as Easton. He wanted to spend the entire time climbing around on the only interactive fire truck in the museum.


We went all out with our pretend play time complete with fire helmets and uniforms.


I had to corral them and bribe them to sit still together for one picture. It didn't turn out great, but after one flash they scattered back to their pretend stations.


Easton and Layla really look up to Ben and Trinity because they get down to their level during play time.

Our home purchase plans are moving right along. Contract is done, financing is secured, escrow is opened, and I turned in 45+ pages of data so the bank can validate I'm a sure bet to pay back the loan. Talk about digging into my personal life... I understand though. After 5 years of NINJA loans and the mother of all asset bubbles it's about time the banks did some validation for who gets a loan (NINJA stands for No Income, No Job or Assets and yes, hundreds of thousands of loans were made to people in this category).

Anyway, Kendra and I are working daily on how best to spend our "move in money". On October 14th we're going to do our part to stimulate the economy. Mostly through Craigslist, eBay, and friends who agreed to help us. :)

See you soon!

No comments: