Sunday, June 26, 2011

Sick and Happy

Hello friends and family,

The twins are feverishly sick, but kids are too naive to know it. They still want to play and run around even though I hear "tissue, please!" every few minutes. Today Layla sat next to me at lunch and a sneeze caught her by surprise. It caught me by surprise too because she sprayed snot and food all over my newly served salad. Not much a person can do about that other than wipe her nose and get a new bowl of salad.

Easton discovered his battery powered race cars run on the tile even better than on the plastic track. Ever since then he and Layla have them zooming all over the living room until the batteries die.


It's hard to know they are sick when they want to play chase and run around the house all the time.


That's a difference between toddlers and adults. If I were as sick as them i would be in bed with a TV remote and my laptop moaning about how much I need Kendra to take care of me.

The only side benefit to the sick kids is the increased cuddling and loving. I've had more hugs and book reading time in the past two days than I normally get in two weeks.


Easton is stepping up the intelligence building like I've never seen before. The twins were reaching to get the string on their Red Robin balloons. Easton realized the futility in their attempts. He went to the bathroom, brought back the step stool, and stood right up to grab his balloon by the tail. I call that good problem solving skills.


Layla wanted to check out Ouma and Oupa's backyard so walked out in our pajamas. She immediately noticed the tiny frogs hopping around. She grabbed one and pet it firmly with her finger. I could see the frog squishing with every not-so-gentle stroke of Layla's finger. Poor frog. Then she noticed another one and scooped it up for Easton. He reluctantly stuck his hand out and then dumped the frog into Oupa's fountain after the frog shifted around on his hand.

Before I could reprimand him Layla tossed her frog in as well. The twins giggled as the frogs swam around jumping to get out of the deep hole.


We kept them at home as much as possible, but can't resist their requests to go do something outside of the house when they are sick. They have happy hearts even if their temperatures are a little above normal.

I planned to visit the library with the twins, but it was closed by the time I arrived. My backup plan was play time in the park. Things worked out relatively well. Easton and Layla both like the baby swings still, but occasionally will give the big-kid swings a try. I do my best to keep them from leaning too far forward. If one of them takes a digger by plowing their face through the wood chips, then that will set me back several months in their comfortableness with the big-kid swings.


On another day I took the twins for a morning outing to the cat tail park so we could watch the co-ed soccer games and run around in the grass. Layla twirled around like a royal dancer with her cute pig tails.


Easton convinced Layla to pretend to be an airplane while chugging along the train tracks. The playground is outlined by a wide cement border which Easton pretends is a train track. After taking the picture I joined in right behind him and several parents laughed or gave me strange looks for acting like a three-year-old.


I convinced a random Mom to ignore her kid for a few minutes and take a picture of me with Easton and Layla.


I was happy to get a decent picture with both kids looking at the camera. I had to bribe them with a fruit rollup, but I'm not above stooping to the level of bribing when it comes to taking a picture with the three of us.

See you soon!

No comments: