Sunday, June 19, 2011

Happy Father's Day

Greetings friends and family,

I'll take a short break from the usual blog post to congratulate myself and also say, "Happy Father's Day" to my two Dad's. Papa and Oupa. I'm grateful they are both still married to my Moms after all these years. I grew up in a home with both a Mom and Dad then married into a family with both a Mom and Dad. It's very easy to take that for granted because it's what I know as "normal".

One of the greatest gifts my fathers give to me (us) year after year is the security and peace of mind knowing our parents are together and will be together. I'd be lying to say I feel bad for those who don't have a two-parent household. I have no idea what that would feel like. Pretending I understand how half of all kids grow up in a single parent or broken home is a disservice to how difficult that must be. I am truly blessed. More importantly I understand more every day the extent of my blessings and role of my Dad's in my life.

On the brighter side of things, here is an Infographic (big picture with data and graphs) which provides some good information and statistics about fathers. A few of those provide benchmarks such as, "Average times children age 3-5 were read to by their fathers in the past week" The answer is 6. I'll have to start keeping track of my daily habits to see how well I measure up.

http://michaelhyatt.com/everything-you-ever-wanted-to-know-about-fathers-day.html

The part about father vs. mother day spending is interesting. Kendra and I were out shopping one evening and I saw my dream Movado watch. Actually it is a "time piece" because anything over $100 is not just a watch... it's a time piece. Anyway, She encouraged me to buy the insanely expensive Movado and I seized the opportunity. I only purchased one watch in the past 10 years so this is a rare occurrence. Kendra said this is the last watch I will ever buy and I graciously agreed. :)

Nothing says, "Happy Father's Day" like a Movado. Thanks, wife.

See you soon!

No comments: