Thursday, June 16, 2011

OKC Vacation Wrap Up

Howdy friends and family,

I ran across a park and took the twins one day for some outdoor play time. The park had all the serious old-school playground equipment: A merry-go-round, monkey bars, teeter-totter,


and these weird things, which resemble a horse and a mole. The twins didn't care what they were as long as they could both ride at the same time.


The park was called 10 acre lake. Realistically it should have been called 10 acre pond because I could have skipped a rock across the entire width of it. The twins were fascinated with the bugs and geese and flowers along the edge. I had a difficult time getting their attention at the same time for a picture because there were so many interesting things to see.


A full day of our vacation was wisely spent entertaining a kin-folk party at Mary's house. I saw relatives I hadn't seen in 15 years and some I never met before. My only regret was leaving my camera holstered until too late in the party after everyone finished swimming. People are reluctant to be in photos after getting wet, which I understand. I was able to find three brave souls... Here is Aunt Mary with my relatives, Dana and Susan. Dana and Susan knew my dad when they were all kids.


The vacation meals were mostly at Aunt Mary's house and that's exactly what we hoped for. We did our best to make a dent in her fully stocked refrigerators, but the 4 Webbs did eat out once. I caught a sweet moment between Kendra and Layla as we waited for our meal. Layla is a mini-Kendra and there's no denying!


Aunt Mary took us to the airport and we said our sad good-byes. We kept it short and sweet to avoid a teary-eyed scene at the airport, but I caught one last picture of the twins as we prepared for another trip through the airports.


I'm surprised we made it through the entire vacation without getting sun burned because of how much outdoor fun we experienced. Luckily no one took home any painful memories.


Easton and Layla were patient and well-mannered as we navigated the ticketing, security, and boarding lines. The boys hit the bathroom one last time before boarding and I got a good laugh from the sign on the entrance. We don't see many "tornado shelter" signs in Phoenix...


Layla talked me into buying a princess coloring book from the airport store. Both of the twins had new toys and books to keep them occupied as we waited for the delayed flight. Every plane we heard or saw would prompt Easton's response of, "Is THAT our plane?"


Even with all the fun toys and books, Easton was most interested in the planes safety manual. He pulled it out of the seat back in front of him and read through it like an instruction booklet.


Throughout the flight Easton acted like an unopened, shaken bottle of soda. So excited to be flying, but maintaining his composure and manners.


We arrived home safely with only 3 days to settle and repack for our trip to Sacramento. Things were back to normal in no time. The twins discovered they can "share' the sit 'n spin by both laying on it and spinning around.


Their imaginations and creativity are kicking into high gear. They are learning to try new ideas on their own and we are more than happy to cheer them on even when it sometimes doesn't work out as planned. This idea worked out and I'm sure we'll see more of this type of thing as the years go by.

Now we get ready for the long drive through the night and excitement awaiting us in California!

See you soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok...I'm dying laughing!!!
You dared to have a sit N spin at your house? With your history?...:) Kendra should just watch out...when she least expects it...there you will be... :)
--joanie

The Four Webbs said...

Watching the twins spin around like that was hilarious to watch. The Sit N Spin was given to us by Mary because it was at her house for her grandkids when they were young. Yes, I know the dangers of the Sit N Spin... I'll have to implement tighter monitoring controls when Easton is on it. :)