Monday, February 7, 2011

Three Years Old!

Hi friends and family,

Today my two most precious gifts in the world, Easton and Layla, turn three years old. I'll skip the "I can't believe how fast time goes by, blah, blah" because everyone feels that way about life as a parent. Instead I'll throw out a few questions I thought would have been answered by now, but aren't.

At what age do kids pull the covers up over themselves if/when they get cold? I expected 3-year-olds would have figured that out, but here I am still "tucking them in" before I go to sleep every single night, which means I pull the covers up over them because they are curled up in the fetal position in the corner of their crib/bed.

Before I forget, here is one last look at Easton and Layla's room with the cribs and matching furniture.


I calculated the retail costs of the furniture and bedding so I could figure the proper Craigslist pricing. The total came to $2500! Almost everything was purchased used so we didn't come even close to that monstrous figure, but I'm shocked people actually spend that much money on a baby room. By the way, we didn't even buy the cool gliding rocking chair, which would have pushed the price up another several hundred bucks. Yikes.

How much do kids cost for the first three years? My grand plan before the twins were born included documenting exact costs so I would have a clear answer when people ask, "how much do kids cost?" Unfortunately, the indirect costs are so great I couldn't even begin to describe the costs.

Strawberries are a good example. A box of strawberries cost $4. How can I possibly assign a dollar amount to "the kids"? For example, I take out 6 for my breakfast. Easton drops one on the floor, which goes in the trash. Then he drops another, but eats it before I can put it in the trash. Layla eats half of one and puts the other half in my cereal. Kendra eats one. I eat one, then notice mold on the last one so it goes in the trash while we all get grossed out thinking about how the strawberries we ate could have had mold on them too, but we didn't notice.

Then I get home that night to find the box is gone completely! Maybe Layla ate some? Maybe they all ended up in the trash? Maybe Kendra made a strawberry pie? The point is, kids cost what they cost and it doesn't make any difference if I have figures to get exact numbers or not. This is just one example of how going into parenthood with plans must also require the ability to correct the course as reality sets in.

How and when should I explain "strangers" to kids? This question comes from our direct experience with the twins. A few months ago we prepared to brave the crowded airport for a visit to Missouri. Kendra spent a few minutes telling Easton and Layla that if they ever get lost to say our real names, not just mommy and daddy. It makes perfect sense to me because if a gate attendant finds a random 2-year-old wandering through the airport then it will be helpful if the kid can articulate the name of their parents. Otherwise they have to say over the loud speaker, "mommy and daddy please come to the information counter to claim your kid"

Although we accomplished our goal of teaching the twins what to say if they ever get lost, I think it may have unintentionally made Layla slightly insecure and scared. Once every few weeks she randomly blurts out, "we do NOT talk to strangers in the airport and we call for Kendra if we get lost." There is a hint of fear in her voice so I make special efforts for extra-comforting words to assure her we protect her and keep her safe.

That was a lot of off-the-cuff thinking and writing so I hope it makes sense. I should probably focus more on questions for which I have the answers because that will be more valuable.

Self portraits are more feasible since the twins follow directions and have a strong desire to see themselves in the picture after it is taken. Thank God for digital. Imagine the lack of enthusiasm if I said, "Come and get in the picture with me! I'll go to Wal-mart and get the roll developed for $10 later this month." Easton will have no concept of "film" or 1-hour photo. Remember when 1-hour photo was the "fast" way to get pictures? Technology is so amazing. I'm rambling again... just show the picture.


Easton is very attached to his daddy T-Rex. He named the dinosaur Rexy because Caillou has one named Rexy. I've never seen Caillou, but Easton told me that's where he heard it. For their birthday we took the twins to Red Lobster (this time we actually ate there) and then to get Layla a special Birthday necklace. Here is her first real piece of jewelry.


It's a butterfly made of pink jewels. The background tarp and caution tape is due to construction inside the store, not a police crime scene... in case you wondered. :) Layla's eyes lit up as Kendra put the necklace on her in the store. Her facial expressions and body language displayed surprise, excitement, happiness, gratitude, and so many other emotions. It was worth the cost just for that one moment of giving her the gift. Easton will get a Nerf gun tomorrow and he has no idea because Kendra has been spelling it out for me because the twins are present when we talk about it. She says, "let's give him the N-E-R-F, G-U-N, O-K?" That'll be fun for Easton and me, both!

See you soon.

No comments: