Monday, February 14, 2011

Silly Dancing

Hey friends and family,

Yesterday evening the 4 Webbs were hanging around the house after dinner and I had an idea for something new and fun to do. My Canon S90 digital camera has a half-baked video camera on it and I wanted to get some video clips of the twins. I also have a 60 inch TV. I also have a cable to connect the two such that live video feeds into the TV from the digital camera. So what happens when three-year-olds see themselves on live TV for the first time? Well, here's the answer:



We had so much fun being silly and laughing at ourselves. Then I figured out how to pipe music through the stereo while the camera recorded the live feed to the TV. That led to Layla dancing and Easton continuing his run back and forth routine.



Kendra and I joined in the hilarity, but none of the clips we were in turned out as good as those two above. I'm not sure my idea is considered creative, but the economic reality of limited resources and money, a.k.a. scarcity, promotes creativity. This leads me back to the arguments around organic fun versus manufactured fun. Anyone can have fun with a million dollars. It takes creativity and ingenuity to have fun with zero dollars.

Speaking of free, we went to the mailbox where Easton single-handedly opened it, retrieved the mail, and locked it closed. One piece of junk mail was a credit card offer from SouthWest airlines. Since it had a picture of an airplane on the front Easton assumed it must be for him. I gave him the pretend credit card inside and told him it was his pilot's license.


He ran outside and immediately flagged down the next airplane in the sky, which happened to be a SouthWest jumbo jet. He was screaming, "Hey jumbo jet! Land here so I can fly you."

As a reward for obeying all day (ok, most of the day) I took the twins to Dairy Queen for a kid's cone. The ice cream is good, but I leave disappointed because the comparison of Andy's Frozen Custard always comes up and Andy's is the clear winner in that battle.

Easton likes "brown" ice cream and Layla likes "banilla". Luckily Dairy Queen has both! Easton is the messy one who ended up with chocolate covering most of his cheeks and hands. Luckily bath time was next on the agenda!


Kendra painted Layla's fingernails for Valentine's Day and when I came home Layla acted like she was on the red carpet for the Grammy awards. Her eyelashes fluttered, she smiled, she swayed her hips, and she practically begged me to compliment her new look. I didn't even get 2 seconds to proactively pay her the compliment though because she was so excited to show me. I was completely impressed and told her how beautiful the nail polish looked on her.


Then at night she put on her brand new 3T princess pajamas from Neill and Jenny. Second verse, same as the first...


I went in to tuck them into bed and Layla was in such a deep sleep she didn't even notice as I pulled the covers up. Normally she rolls over as soon as I walk in the room, but this night she was peacefully dreaming. I sat there for a few minutes and soaked in the moment of seeing my only precious daughter resting comfortably.


As an update for life after cribs in the big-boy and big-girl bed, it's going very well. They stay in bed and go to sleep shortly after the lights go out. They also stay in bed in the morning until one of us goes to get them up. Not sure how long it will last until they figure out it is possible to get up in the morning without our presence. Maybe they are just obedient children?

See you soon!

No comments: