Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Big Girl Bed

Howdy friends and family,

February is going to be a HUGE month at the Casa de Webb. Easton and Layla's birthday is only 7 days away. Everything revolves around that including both sets of grandparents visiting and a very cool birthday party which requires 100 times more preparation and work than I ever expected for any party let alone for three year olds.

I have a correction to make based on feedback from my South African friend. He told me Oma and Opa is really spelled Ouma and Oupa. I never would have figured it out on my own, but as it turns out he is absolutely right! From now on I'll spell it correctly.

Even though the big birthday is on the 7th we are waiting for the party until 2 weeks after so that Ouma and Oupa can participate.

Easton earned his first pair of gym pants because now the twins are attending a weekly gym class and it's not good to show up in jeans. That reminds me... I am not looking forward to the day they figure out how to keep secrets. I came home and Easton said, "Hi daddy! I pushed Layla at the gym." He wasn't proud or sad, just matter of fact in telling me about his day. I appreciate his honesty and it really makes it tough because I don't want to discipline him for things he voluntarily tells me.

Anyway, I used to be a big Winnie-the-Pooh fan during early elementary school and had my very own stuffed animal. I have no idea why I kept it all these years, but Layla has taken a liking to it as you can see.


Easton is MUCH more interested in the Donkey watch and the buttons on it. Kendra fixed a delicious home-cooked meal including ribs for us. Easton called it T-Rex meat and we went along with him on it. I guess it's kind of like telling a kid there is a Santa Clause because at some point we will have to tell him there are no such thing as dinosaurs alive today. However, now that I think about it we can look for a place that serves alligator meat and those are kind of like prehistoric animals, right? In the mean time we'll cheer him on to gobble up the T-Rex meat


An amazing thing happened today. Layla took a nap! Even better, she took the nap in her big girl bed. This gives me hope regarding the smooth transition from crib to bed


We haven't had the wonderful daily break of nap-time in our house for MONTHS so this was a welcomed anomaly. I highly doubt we'll get two days in a row of nap-time, but if we do Kendra will ensure she wears a diaper to bed next time. :(

Kendra is making steady progress on the decorating and transformation of Layla's room. She made the very cool wall art of LOVE as seen below. Isn't that creative? and it was inexpensive too.


The 4 Webbs are officially on a budget. Scratch that... We call an "Allocated Spending Plan" around here because using the word budget sends Kendra into a spiral of despair. It's all in HOW you say it, right? Anyway, our entire monthly income for February is already spent (on paper) and now it is up to us to live according to the plan on which we agreed.

Many people think budgeting is just tracking where money was spent and categorizing the amounts. That's a good start, but we're taking the next big step to tell our money what to do instead of it telling us where it went. That's not just semantics, it makes all the difference in the world. (disclaimer: actual results may vary and all decisions are subject to change without notice) Just kidding... We have very open, shared finances so it's easy to see what comes in and what goes out.

My tip-of-the-day: Use the Mint.com website. Easily one of my top 10 most awesome websites ever (and it's 100% free). We use it to consolidate all income and expenses. ALL checking, savings, investment, retirement, and credit card information is automatically updated continuously. I log in and it shows every transaction, what account it was made against, and most importantly... it consolidates to provide trending and analysis of the data. Do you ever ask, "How much did we spend on food this month?" Instead of looking at every credit card and bank account statement and doing math, it is all consolidated into a single view! simply brilliant.

That's all I have time for tonight. See you soon!

No comments: