Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Garage Door

Greetings friends and family,

The garage door story will be one I remember for the rest of my life. No one was injured so it was funny immediately after the situation was over.

Easton and Layla both like to push the button in the garage to open and close it. With twins everything is "shared" even the privilege of opening the garage door. The three of us walked towards the garage so they could ride tricycles to the mailbox as we do every afternoon.

Today was Layla's turn to press the button so Easton wandered into the garage once he realized it wasn't his turn. Layla took her time dramatizing the whole button-pushing event and I was more than happy to pay full attention to her. She pressed the button and the garage door began to open. I cheered for her accomplishment and gave her a hug.

I heard Easton make a few noises, but didn't pay much attention because I thought was just having trouble putting on his helmet. Then Layla pointed over my shoulder and said, "Look, daddy! Easton!" I still had no thought of what was going on, but I turned around to appease Layla's typically overdramatic gesture.

I froze for a few seconds to process the situation. Easton was hanging 7 feet in the air from the bottom edge of the garage door! There was an obstacle course of half-painted drawers, a power sander, and various other furniture refinishing products. As I was navigating through the maze I realized my camera was on my belt clip. That's when I had a real crisis on my hands.

My first instinct was to hustle straight over and rescue him, but then I started to calculate the time it would take me to get a picture of Easton hanging from the door and the odds of him falling while I fumbled for the power button.

In a split second I decided a picture wasn't worth risking harm to Big Time so my camera stayed in the case as I rescued him. Of course, I did what any good father should do, but in all honesty taking a picture did cross my mind.

After I lowered him down it was a struggle to know how to react. I was so happy he was safe. I was scared because he could have been hurt. I was laughing because hearing him whimper as he clung tightly to the garage door was the one of the funniest thing I've ever seen. Should I scold him for grabbing the door in the first place? Should I praise him for holding on with such a good grip? Layla was watching very closely to my response so it mattered very much to both of them.

I gave Easton a big hug and calmly said, "I'm so glad you are OK! Thank you for holding on tight until I was able to come and get you down. Please don't grab the garage door, alright?" Any other reaction of anger or fear would have scared him even more. If I laughed (believe me, I really wanted to) then Layla would have attempted the same trick in the future.

So instead of Easton hanging from the garage door, here he is making mud pies in the flower bed like a good rough and tough 3 year old boy should.


Landon and Layla Ruth came over to hang with the 4 Webb's while April did some shopping. Kendra cooked breakfast for dinner including pancakes, eggs, and strawberries. Her cuisine resulted in 4 happy kids and a satisfied husband. After dinner Landon discovered the foam swords. Luckily we have three of them! The twins discovered the value of teamwork as the relentlessly poked and sliced at Landon on the sit-n-spin.


Not sure why the sit-n-spin was thrown into the mix, but I'm all for whatever adds excitement to the playtime.

The building where gymnastics takes place is close to my work so I took a few hours out of my morning to watch the twins jump and tumble. I was worn out just watching them bounce on the trampolines and navigate the circuit of gymnasium equipment. It was difficult to get a good picture because the parental seating area is behind the glass so no flash is possible. Combining that with the lack of lighting and the continuous motion of two 3-year-olds and you wind up with this.


Easton is flipping over backwards with help from the instructor, Layla is focused straight ahead waiting semi-patiently to jump off the mat, and some random girl in the middle looking at us with her cheer leading pose. Kendra mentioned Layla would really enjoy cheer leading class and I fully agree.

The only trouble is I'm finding every single activity costs money. and not just a little... a LOT of money. My thought is, "Will this be something to get Layla get a scholarship in college?" If yes, then I may be persuaded. If no, then we'll keep looking for opportunities.

See you soon!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh! Easton is ahead of the game with this stunt! This year Silas held on and rode our garage door up, promptly breaking the entire drive chain of the door's motor...oh great! Lucky for you Easton isn't so heavy! Hope you've had a fabulous week enjoying their birthday celebrating. We love you! --joanie

The Four Webbs said...

Hey Joanie,

So glad to hear I'm not the only one with kids hanging from the garage door. Did you get a picture of Silas in action?