Thursday, January 27, 2011

Yes, they are twins.

Howdy friends and family,

The most common question I still get from strangers is, "Are they twins?" Easton and Layla are so close in height and weight that to the average Joe on the street they are obviously twins. I discovered people who ask either are a twin, have twins, or know someone who has twins. I feel an obligation to ask and it's the only thing I can think of to say after I answer the burning question of whether or not they are twins. At least no one asks if they are identical anymore...

I'm not sure how much longer the twins question will last, but I never thought I would still be approached by strangers to answer the question after three years. Part of the reason may be Easton and Layla's energetic, magnetic personalities.

As I walk behind them I get a first-hand look at people's faces as they pass by and their flat mouth turns into a smile. It's almost as predictable as watching the sun come up. I see a man or woman or family look down to notice the twins and just like magic they smile. I get such a kick out of watching it happen and never get tired of seeing how contagious Easton and Layla's attitudes can be. I wonder if it would be invasion of privacy for me to video tape some occurrences and post them?

Anyway, we enrolled the twins in gymnastics for instructor-led motor skill development. A side benefit will be better discipline in social situations, but that may or may not materialize. I asked them, "what did you do at the gym?" They both said, "We jumped in the foam pit and played", which is exactly what the instructor told everyone NOT to do. Oh well, I'm sure they'll get the hang of listening to directions and obeying. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

Easton is swinging on the rings and Layla is waiting in line with her extra-cute pigtails.


Easton is probably saying, "You want me to do what?" as the teacher points to the monkey on the wall spreading its legs out.


With the cost of sports for kids these days I figure we should get used to shelling out a few hundred a year for extra circular activities.

One thing I can't figure out is the uncontrollable urge for Easton and Layla to wear my shoes. I don't get it... Not that I mind, though. They do a better job of walking in my size nines than I do at times because of my clumsiness.


You might notice in the picture how we decided against the million-dollar Andy Warhol painting and instead went for the three-year-old finger paint without the frame. It's just as aesthetically pleasing, but for a fraction of the price.

In case you're wondering... bodily functions are now officially approved as humor at the Webb house. I don't know who flipped the switch for Easton and Layla, but now they think burping is so funny they pretend burp and laugh out loud for several minutes. Now there are a few more things to add to my list of "cautions" when the twins are around. Or rather, I just have to say "excuse me" and all is forgiven.

See you soon!

No comments: