Friday, January 14, 2011

iPhone cache

Hey friends and family,

The camera on my iPhone 3Gs is THE biggest disappointment of my iPhone experience. There are many wonderful aspects of the ingenious device, but the camera is so bad it's actually better to not have one at all. However, I still take a picture with my iPhone once in a while because I forget my Canon camera and forget how poor the quality is.

Anyway, there are a few diamonds in the rough. Kendra and I attended parent night at the pre-school where the twins will attend starting late summer. My impression was overall very favorable and the staff seemed very professional. I asked question after question and then more questions. I did my best to allow other parents to jump in with their own, but I had a list to get through with limited time. I asked:

What is the average number of students who stay home due to sickness in a given week?
How much time per day is spent outside?
Who is the teacher when you take a day off?
What is the minimum level of qualification or education required for teachers across the school?
What is your method of discipline and how often is that required per day?

She provided valid answers for all of my concerns. Her patience with my annoying barrage of questions provided another data point by itself: If she can stay come in the midst of my inquiries then she can handle Easton and Layla. For $5,200 per year I expect excellence!


As we geared up in Tahoe for the day of sledding Kendra expressed concern about one of her boots not fitting well. She sat down to see what was in her boot and...

There's a SNAKE in my BOOT! (quoting Woody from Toy Story)


Apparently Easton found a new hiding place for his rubber snake and we had a good round of laughs about it.

I'll admit there is ONE good thing about the iPhone camera: The ability to manipulate images. I took a picture of Easton and then used a free app to paste Mr. Pteranodon from Dinosaur Train onto Easton's shoulder.


I took Easton's picture, added Mr. Pteranodon, then showed Easton and he reacted the same way an audience does for David Copperfield. "Whoa! How did you do that?" He occasionally asks to see "My dinosaur picture" and I know he's talking about that one.

The sun was shining, Easton was in the correct position relative to the sun and holding very still, and the stars aligned for one non-blurry picture. Score 1 for the iPhone.


Easton and Layla really are best friends and they look for opportunities to be next to each other even in huge play structures and open areas. I wouldn't call them inseparable, but instead see them as best friends.


On one of Layla's daddy dates the two of us walked to the local coffee shop by Oma and Opa's house. As we were leaving she posed against the pillar and I asked if she could look surprised. She did an excellent job and she is well on her way to an acting career if she chooses to pursue it.


Talk about friendly... During our stop at In-N-Out burger she initiated a conversation with the little girls family behind us. When she discovered the family was driving home from a day trip to Disneyland she became even more interested in talking to the little girl. I'm already looking forward to our trip to Disneyland next year.


That's the end my usable iPhone pictures, but here are a few short stories about the past few days and some pictures from a "real" camera.

The twins have an insatiable appetite for books and reading. More than I ever expected at this age. I walk into their bedroom each morning with my typical greeting. Easton quickly gathers the books in his bed and holds onto them for dear life. I unzip his tent and as I pick him up he holds tight to the books instead of wrapping his arms around me. Then he says, "Will you read me these books?"


I hauled the twins to the neighborhood park yesterday for a sunset playtime. One neighbor girl was playing, but no boys for Easton to befriend. Both of them approached the little girl, introduced themselves, and said, "Do you want to play?" She was friendly enough to join in and within 20 seconds they were running around playing tag and chase.


One final picture to show the different laughs of Easton and Layla. Layla outwardly expresses her laugh with a burst of giggling and silliness. Easton holds his inside like a shaken can of soda and it comes out audibly in spurts. I get a big kick out of watching their excitement and fun bubble over.


Kendra is making serious progress on the furniture rehabilitation effort. The bed and trundle are ready for use! The dresser is on the operating table now as Kendra and the twins sand it down. Now we just need to sell the 2 cribs, dresser, and changing table to someone who has twins.

See you soon!

No comments: