Monday, January 17, 2011

3 Weeks to 3

Hi friends and family,

I walked in to get the twins out of bed and as I unzipped Easton's tent he said, "I can do THREE, daddy!" as he held up three fingers.


We've been working on this for a few weeks now to prepare for the big birthday coming up. Apparently he perfected it during the 15 minute window between the time the dual alarm clocks go off and one of us goes to fetch them. He is very proud of himself for the newly acquired skill. We love celebrating the little things around here though. My morning-fog cheers and dancing probably looked more like a lunatic spasm, but Easton welcomed the gesture just the same.

Not to be outdone, Layla jumped in with her rendition of how to do three.


We rode our bikes to the mailbox together and I noticed some new developments for the twins. A small contributor to Easton's hair color is due to the sunset, but his reddish light hair is clearly much, much different than mine. I'll have to look at old pictures of me to see if my hair was the same at his age.

My Mom and Dad just scheduled their spring trip to see us in a month (hooray) so I can just add that question to my list for when she's here. Another question already on the list is, "Was I this much of a climbing monkey at age 2?"


I normally hold their hands and assist them walking a few steps up, up, up the tree and then down. Yesterday, however, after Layla's turn she said, "You do it, daddy." I quickly agreed and bounded up the tree several steps higher than they've ever been on this tree. I looked down to see Easton and Layla speechless with wide eyes and open mouths. A simple climb up the tree to show them resulted in the light switch turning on in their heads as they realized what is possible.

As soon as I dropped to the ground Layla climbed with Easton right on her heels. I had to hustle over and help them down because like cows, they go up very easy, but not down... yet. That day will come, but for now I do my best to avoid bumps and bruises.


One of the signs of winter in Arizona is the lack of color or flowers. We almost always pick some kind of flower for Mommy, but since none were around Layla picked up two fallen twigs with green leaves. She said, "I will bring these home for Mommy because there are no flowers." I'm extremely happy to see them learning how to be kind and thoughtful already.


They don't always respond in the kind and thoughtful way, but we're applying consistent, continual correction and that's as much as I'm responsible for.

Easton wanted to pretend to be the tiger and bear so we crawled around the floor on all fours growling at everything in sight.


Then Easton noticed the electric keyboard in the closet. He switched mid-growl and said, "Grrrrrrr ohhhhhh LOOK... the piano!" and started playing like a rock star.


Then after a few short minutes Easton decided we need to play "protect princess Layla" from the dragon. He volunteered me as dragon where the costume consisted of a bear hat and blanket wrapped around me like a cape. I chased them into the front room and they hid underneath the train table until Easton worked up the courage to come out and fight the dragon.


He successfully protected the princess and I'm happy to be a part of raising my modern day knight. Chivalry is not dead!

Even though Kendra and I don't mention princess dresses or dressing up, Layla asks me every chance she gets if she can wear one. Now the request includes which accessories she wants to wear as well, such as the all-important fairy wings.


The furniture make-over is still in full effect including a garage filled with paint and a house turned upside down as we shift 3 years worth of kids stuff between the rooms. If you wonder where Kendra gets her inspiration for home improvement look no further than Young House Love. I've only seen whatever pictures Kendra wanted to show me occasionally, but she's a big fan of how they cheaply transformed a house into a showcase model of a home.

No comments: