Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Singin' in the Rain

Merry Christmas friends and family,

5 more days to the big day. Our plans to go sledding in the snow were foiled by blizzard conditions up in the mountains. We've postponed the big adventure until early next week based on the always reliable forecast of the weather man. We'll see...

I realized today this is my first vacation since the twins were born for me to spend more than four days in a row with them. We did the Hawaiian get-away, but there were no kids involved in that vacation. This being the fourth night in a row of vacation ended with a loving comment from Layla. She said (as a statement, not a question), "You are NOT going to work tomorrow". I happily replied, "No, I am not going to work tomorrow. I will be with you two all day again!" I'm afraid she might get a little TOO used to this and have a comment or two on the day I go back to work.

It takes several days to unwind and decouple from work to really get into vacation mode. Today was that day for me. The clock no longer rules my life, email is all low priority, and watching an episode of Dino Dan with the twins is considered an accomplishment for the day. Dino Dan is the latest favorite show for Easton because he's developed a passion for dinosaurs lately.

My friend told me about "Dinosaur Train" on PBS, which is a brilliant idea. Every 3 year old boy on the planet likes trains and dinosaurs so why not combine them in a TV show? I have yet to actually watch this show, but it's on DVR at Opa's house for tomorrow.

The last of Easton and Layla's winter wear needed a test run: The boots! Just after a hard rain I took the twins out for a walk on the path. You may never see three people happier about the rain in your life so take a good look.


I'll get back to the trail rain walk adventure in a bit, but first here's a picture of what twin friends looks like.


She's wearing boots, but they are the same height normally. We discovered a new game where they stand in the middle of the staircase and kick a big bouncy ball to me as I stand at the bottom. We played this distorted version of catch for a half hour straight, which is a long time for a toddler to do something that long. They have the attention span of a... what was I talking about? Oh well.

Anyway, Layla's new thing is pretending to take a picture of me when I take a real picture of her. She says, "Say cheeeeeese... click".


I'm not sure why she puts the pretend camera up to her face though because I've always used a digital camera with the viewable screen, not the old school kind with a view finder. Either way, Easton is completely uninterested in taking pictures or being in them. He's just hanging out having fun! You might notice his hand position showing his index finger pointed. He chose to eat his cracker sticks and then use his finger to scoop out the cheese.


I started to correct him, but Kendra told me to relax and let him go because she already gave him permission to eat that way the day before. So I relaxed...

Now to finish the adventure known as, "Singin' in the rain". Layla was content to carry her Tinkerbell umbrella until she realized it stopped raining. Then Daddy was designated umbrella holder. Of course that is the exact moment when several neighbors wandered by walking their dogs and taking a stroll. They all look at me and smirk as if to say, "Nice umbrella, dude!" Fortunately I don't care one bit and thank God I have the chance to carry her fairy umbrella while it lasts.


Easton didn't even get his Buzz Lightyear umbrella out the door. He saw the puddles and decided it was more important to splash big than to stay dry.


Once we made it to the actual trail they homed in on every puddle like a heat seeking missile. Mission accomplished... The boots are, in fact, water proof.


The most exciting part of the walk for them was throwing rocks into the flooded water retention area. We literally ran out of rocks on the trail before heading back home to dry out and defrost by the fireplace.


As a tribute to Layla's spelling prowess Uncle Casey drew her name for her. She spells it very well and very quickly by saying, "L-A-Y-L-A, Layla".


Did I mention she likes to pretend to take pictures of me now? Say Cheeeeese.


I haven't taken a close up of them individually for a while so here are their happy little faces.


One final bit of adventure is our brave Target run. Kendra and I took the twins to Target to get a few things during this busy Christmas shopping season. Kendra found a small plastic slinky for each of them to play with as we walked. The idea worked out well and no injuries occurred (surprisingly). The two of them both whipping the slinky around resembles a B-movie battle scene if they aren't physically restrained from getting to close to each other.


The fun continues as my vacation is well-deserved and well-utilized on adventures with the twins.

See you soon!

No comments: