Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Lite-Brite, I can!

Hey friends and family,

We are finding creative ways to keep things interesting for the twins during this oh-so-rainy trip to NorCal. The only frustrating part is playing in the living room right next to the Christmas tree full of wrapped toys. The kid in me keeps thinking, "If they only knew what cool stuff was in those gifts we would tear them open and play with them right now!"

However, the adult in me prevails and we play with what we have without touching the gifts. The combinations of toys Easton comes up with is getting more creative by the day. I mean, what's so strange about a shark on a 4-wheeler?


GG made our week extra exciting by loaning us her original Lite-Brite. Not just any common Target version either. It's the old school kind, which is probably 30 years old, but still works great! Some of the paper patterns were already filled out and that actually worked really well because Easton didn't have to figure out which color goes where. I just told him to stuff the plastic pieces in the already-poked holes and we had a blast. Luckily, the Choo choo train was ready to go so we plugged away at the picture (with the light off) until the grand finale.


And two interesting things came from the Lite-Brite story: The first thing Easton said after seeing the glory of the lights was, "Can I show Oma?" That is very telling of exactly where he gets his approval from. Also, we're still working on behavior modification to change Easton's "I can't" thought to "I can". It's not easy, but I'm continually listening for him to say, "I can't" and I immediately correct him and assist if necessary while telling him to restate his claim. My expectation is not only for him to say, "I can", but to say it LOUDLY and boldly with confidence. That's why he screams it at the end of the video.



After Layla saw the glorious Choo choo chain Lite-Brite creation she was amped to join in the fun. Kendra refereed as the twins cooperated to create the magnificent sailboat.


We caught a lucky break in the rain just long enough for the puddles in the park to dry up. I took full advantage of the moment and even asked them which park they wanted to visit. Easton requested the zoo park, so off we went. The chickens picked a poor time to mill around in the parking lot because the twins took off after them attempting to communicate by screaming, "be-gock, bock, bock, be-GOOOOOCK!" Poor chickens were freaked out by their friendly attempt.


On another rainy day I took the twins out for some shopping fun. Most people avoid the stores for the entire month of December. Not only am I crazy enough to go in the crowded stores, but I take Easton and Layla with me just for an extra challenge. Actually, I take them just to be social and a chance to see new things. I asked where they wanted to go and their answer put me in a difficult position. Layla's attitude is far from angelic and discipline followed the conversation resulting from this clip. However, it was just too funny not to pass along.



Layla wanted to go to Best Buy and Easton wanted to go to the pet store. We went to both so everyone is a winner.

Here's the cutest number SIX I've ever seen.


I connected the foam squares as an enclosure and the twins turned it into a dinosaur safety zone where dinosaurs (Oma and I) couldn't get them as long as they were safe inside the pin.


The foam squares are in our standard toy rotation and provide about 20 minutes of amusement at a time. Thanks to Neill and Jenny we have a set to leave here at Oma's house.

We were itching to get outside on a cold, rainy day so we did one final test run of our snow gear before the big tubing event up North. Easton and Layla's boots are officially declared water-proof!


I switched to YouTube for video uploading because Blogger uploading just hangs and never succeeds. It's time to publicize the twins to the rest of the world anyway. :) Wait 'til they get a load of Layla's energetic version of Do-Re-Mi!

See you soon.

No comments: