Friday, November 19, 2010

Thumb and Chap Stick

Hey friends and family,

Where has the week gone? I've been noticeably MIA on the blog recently and have no excuse other than busyness. Kendra and I are both surviving the rat race of the busy week only because the finish line is Saturday at 10:00 AM when Oma and Opa arrive in town.

Unfortunately Kendra is still suffering from the same virus/sickness all week long. I spent all of my free time entertaining Irish coworkers visiting to attend our big company meetings.

Enough about us though... let's talk about what's really important and entertaining: twins.

Layla is over the pacifier and we are still holding strong. Kendra decided (against my wishes) to tell Layla that because she is turning three years old she doesn't need a pacifier any more. She also said Scott and Marisue's twins need the pacifier because only babies use them. She accepted that answer from Kendra, but then when she repeated the story back to me she said, "When the babies turn three can I have my pacifier back?"

I laughed out loud because she is so clever to think that through and ask for it back. What a smart cookie. Layla also figured out how to peddle her tricycle so she is fully mobile in the cul-de-sac now. She is still girly to the max though because as she was zooming by she stopped for an emergency application of her princess chap stick.


I know the picture isn't very flattering of her, but the moment reminded me of watching Uncle Dave's cat run across the floor and stop on a dime for an emergency paw cleaning.

Easton doesn't have princess chap stick, but he does have his thumb and that's something we can't take away. He consistently sucks his thumb and we'll have to tackle that habit soon enough.


The important part of the picture of Easton is not only to showcase his thumb sucking, but also to show which one of the twins takes naps. Layla... not so much anymore.

Here's the combined picture of the thumb sucker and chap stick bandit.


I told them it was time to wash daddy's car and asked who wanted to help. Both of them excitedly screamed, "meeeeee!" However, after a couple of minutes they were sitting in their camping chairs watching me soap and rinse. Good help is hard to find.

On a side note, Easton decided to use his blue chalk to draw on the bumper of my car. In that moment I proved a little bit of how well I can handle myself in dealing with frustration directed at Easton. I did well, if I do say so myself. I didn't curse or yell or get upset at all. I just got down on his level, took the chalk away, and said, "chalk isn't for drawing on Daddy's car... or Mommy's car or anyone's car, OK?" He accepted the discipline and went on about his merry way.

Speaking of merry... I took the twins to the mall for some furniture shopping and stopped along the way (against my better judgment) at a germ-infested play area. See the resemblance between Easton and the gopher? uncanny, huh...


Both of them had a blast chasing each other and random kids around the obstacles. They hid from nobody and giggled the whole time.


I had a tough time forcing them to leave because of the level of fun associated with climbing on something new.


The development stages for the twins is night and day different. Layla's development is best represented as a steady line moving continually forward moment by moment. Easton's development is like a stair case making huge leaps and then holding flat for a time.

Yesterday as I left for work Easton said, "I need a kiss and a hug." I gladly knelt down and gave him a big squeeze and a kiss. Then he voluntarily said, "I love you, Daddy." That made my week in a way I can't even describe. I am truly blessed to have such a happy, loving boy.


All 4 Webbs are waiting, waiting, and waiting for Saturday to see Oma and Opa.

See you soon!

1 comment:

NANAGRANDMA said...

There's nothing like hearing "I love you" from your kids! Also, from mom--I LOVE YOU!!