Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Home at last

Hey friends and family,

We arrived home at about 4:00 AM from Oma and Opa's house and collapsed on our bed for a couple of hours until the dual alarm clocks woke us up right on (their) schedule. Setting them up in separate beds will mean they have the ability to get up and come into our room at any time morning or night. Usually we let them play in their tent-covered cribs for a few minutes so we can catch a few extra winks. I'm already mourning the upcoming years where I will wake up with the twins staring me in the face or jumping on my back.

Anyway, I went to get them out of the cribs and the first thing Easton said was (with a cheery voice), "We're home, daddy!" as if I hadn't noticed. The next thing he said was, "I want to read my biiiiiiiig space book, please."


Neither of us had mentioned anything about the space book during the entire 2 week trip to Sacramento, but obviously that was one of the things he missed the most while being away from home.

I can vs. I can't

We noticed a pattern developing with Easton where he says, "I can't" when approaching a task which he lacks confidence. From opening the lid of his sippy cup to walking across the narrow wall at the park.


He freezes up and screams, "I can't do it!" as he reaches out his hand. He already accomplished this exact feat on the exact wall a few days prior, but for some reason he needs extra encouragement so that is what we give him.

Each time he says, "I can't" to something we address it verbally with encouragement and say, "you CAN do it!" He's one of those kids who need to be pushed and supported at the same time in order to progress. Easton usually accomplishes the task and then we force him to verbally tell the truth that he CAN do it. That way we get to celebrate the little things and build his confidence along the way.

Layla just needs the freedom to go and she's on her way. Occasionally she will check and make sure I am still close by, but she doesn't need me to constantly watch and cheer for her in the same way Easton does.


At the dollar store Kendra found a big paper map and had the great idea to put it on the wall so we can start geography lessons early. Easton and Layla are starting to get the concept of a city, state, and country, but they have yet to grasp time and distance. In the mean time we can use the map to explain where Kendra's family lives in Cali, where my family lives in Missouri, and compare that to where we live in sunny AZ. You can see Layla's dimples are as cute as ever.


I picked up a couple of fireman helmets on clearance to build the costume collection. The twins love playing the role of fireman. I had Layla play the role of princess in the castle on fire while Easton and I pretended to be the firemen coming to the rescue. Luckily Cinderella and Layla were both saved by the hero, Easton.


Kendra officially gave up on the high chairs this week. After 2 years of solid use the twins are eating at the kitchen island or their little table for every meal. I don't really understand the benefit of them eating in a big chair, but if it's time to move on to the next stage in life then I'm all for it.


Right after nap time is the only small window of cuddling. As Easton wakes up from the daze of his short nap I take full advantage of those 60 seconds while he gets his bearings.


Once he gets squared away it's back to play time at full throttle. We went outside to play and thought it would be fun to create a whole scenario for Easton's vehicles and aircraft. I drew up an airport complete with parking lot, terminal, tower, runway, helicopter pad, and space shuttle launch pad.


Layla joined in as well and we followed the story of Oma and Opa driving to the airport and flying to visit us. They are coming (for real) next week so it wasn't like I had to be extremely creative to portray that scenario...

Potty training is such a hassle. Before having kids I thought it was a milestone in an instant. one time on the potty and BAM! yeah... they are potty trained. Not so. it is dragging on for months although Layla is much further in the process than Easton. Layla sits on the big potty, but occasionally has accidents. She tells us AFTER she goes pee-pee that she needs to go.

Easton is making progress as well and he finally received his special dinosaur by doing the #2 on the potty. It's about time!


Even though today was a success in this department I realized it doesn't mean from now on he will not need diapers. When that occurs it will be a glorious day in the Webb house. I know, I know... it will happen, but just takes time. :)

See you soon!

No comments: