Sunday, November 28, 2010

dress up

Hi friends and family,

I'm trying to figure out what happened to the year 2010. Where'd it go? How is it possible we are already closing out the year? Anyway, my plan to keep Kendra's parents here by disabling the alarm clock was thwarted by the battery failing in the smoke detector just outside of their room. It beeped non-stop from 5:00 AM on so I had no chance of keeping them in bed through the flight departure time.

They are gone, but we'll see them again in 3 weeks when we visit Sacramento for the Christmas holiday. In the mean time we're continuing the daily training and teaching. Layla has completely given up on naps and instead moved to developing her leadership skills while Easton sleeps. The neighbor boy came over with his battery powered 4x4 and Layla led him around the court as though she were a General leading soldiers into battle. "Follow me!" she demanded.


I keep taking "gifts" Kendra buys for the twins and opening them early. These items aren't sealed in wrapping paper, but rather lying around in various closets and cubby holes around the house. An example of one such failure on my part is Easton's space man suit.


I thought Kendra was keeping it hung up because Easton didn't fit in it yet. I took it out and sized him up. "Looks like he's grown enough to fit!", I thought. He was so excited to wear the space suit I could barely get it unzipped fast enough. The backpack is just big enough to hold a few of his dinosaurs. I mean, you never know when you might need to pull out a plastic dinosaur during a space mission, right?


We also bought him a big toy rocket (from the Little Einsteins show). Kendra found it for a couple of bucks at a 2nd hand store and Easton doesn't know any differently or care. He just knows it takes him on (pretend) adventures to the moon.


Just so you know, I dressed up in my Buzz Lightyear costume from Halloween to join in the playtime excitement. Sure is fun to be a kid again! Layla looks a little like Kym Karath (Gretl) from The Sound of Music.


Here's a picture of Kym from The Sound of Music and a more recent shot.


Maybe the looks are a true match, but Layla did a great acapella rendition of "Do-Re-Mi" for the people in line at Costco. That's a true story and one I expect will occur frequently since she received such encouragement as they clapped and smiled for her.

Layla is finding her motherly instincts recently. She cares for Baby Joy and Baby Grace. By "care" I mean she swings them around like a slingshot and throws them into her crib, but occasionally she sits a baby in a high chair and feeds it ketchup.


Then she pushes the baby aside and roars like a dinosaur with Easton as Buzz Lightyear saves the day.


It's relatively chilly here in AZ, but we were still able to go for a walk down the street to look at neighbors newly hung Christmas lights. The twins are very good about holding my hand and staying on the sidewalk.


Each day brings new challenges, but seeing the twins grow and show such happiness makes it all worthwhile.

Time to get the work week started again in T minus 8 hours.

See you soon!

No comments: