Sunday, November 21, 2010

Once in a Blue Moon

Greetings friends and family,

Sunday night presented a rare opportunity to experience the fabled "Blue Moon" referenced in the old adage. Here is the real story behind the phrase "Once in a blue moon" in case you're curious about the facts.

Opa and I took the twins for a walk in the brisk fall evening. We found an actual use case for the princess and Buzz Lightyear flashlight beyond shining it in each other's eyes.


The moon was so bright that when combined with the neighborhood street lights Easton and Layla gave me their flashlight because they were unnecessary. On the way home we had to pick up the speed to double time once the rain started. As you can see Layla was none too happy about getting wet.


You have to keep in mind they have only been in the rain 3 times in the past year. As far as they knew rain causes one to melt. Not sure where they got that impression from though... As we approached the house I asked if they were (finally) tired and Layla said, "No, I don't want to go to bed"!

Her energy could be the result of our fun and games from earlier in the evening. I feel it's my duty to prepare the twins for the real world. Each day I do my best to give practical, useful advice. Today I chose to teach the all-important skill of how to play Chubby Bunny. Easton doesn't like the taste of marshmallows so Layla and I were left to battle it out with the bag of mini-mallows.

The idea of the game is to put an increasing number of marshmallows in your mouth and try to say the words "Chubby Bunny" comprehensibly. Layla made it to 5 mini-mallows and we were laughing so hard it was difficult to keep them in our mouth.


Now that's a skill for life. I feel I've done my fatherly duties for the day. We spent Sunday afternoon at the excellent church picnic. The BBQ ribs were good, but not even close to as good as my dad cooks them. The weather was somewhat uncooperative with the high wind and below average temps. Easton and I stayed bundled up in our wind breakers.


Layla and Oma did the same. However, the twins worked up some body heat by running around the play ground with the other kids. The only option we had for involvement was flag football so Oma were out of luck there. Instead we just cuddled and savored the moments of Easton and Layla relaxing with us.


I just couldn't resist posting this picture of Layla because it shows her beautiful presence and big flower bow, which is really Kendra's. I just can't believe how quickly my little baby Peanut grew into an awesome, sweet girl.


I'm teaching Easton some basics of life in lieu of Chubby Bunny. I'm teaching him how to trade stocks through the computer. Buy low, sell high. It's that simple.


He told me the price/earnings to growth ratio for Disney stock shows it is over-valued. I mean, seriously? What kid shorts a toy company stock? I sure hope he's right... His college tuition is riding on it. Easton sure seems confident and calm about that last trade. Time for a potty break!


I can't even begin to describe how happy I am to have Kendra's parents here. I've become a second class citizen in Easton and Layla's eyes, but I don't mind one bit. Right now the world revolves around Oma and Opa, which is fine with me. Turkey day is around the corner and I'm looking forward to vacation days, home-cooked meals, and family togetherness.

See you soon!

No comments: