Friday, November 19, 2010

Hello, police man

Hello friends and family,

I wanted to get in a blog post today because we experienced some serious adventuring. I took a vacation day from work and it was completely worthwhile.

The idea of my taking the day off was to spend some quality time with Uno and Dos while Kendra took care of doctor appts., errands, and house cleaning to prepare for her parent's arrival tomorrow morning.

The morning started off with a home cooked breakfast from yours truly. The menu included Cream of Wheat and... well, that's it. I added the appropriate amount of milk and Cream of Wheat and let the microwave do it's magic. By the way, 3/4 cup is not equal to 3-4 cups. That's one of the many things my Dad taught me, but one of the few key learnings he passed down related to the kitchen.

Anyway, after their half-hearted attempt to eat my mealy slop I packed the twins into the Chariot and we rode off to our adventures. First stop was Starbucks for some muffins, then we walk over to the pet store for window shopping. I watched the twins bang on the tank.


And all I could think of was this girl.


Poor fishies never saw them coming. It was near impossible to discipline them for pounding on the tank and dunking their hands in the water because I was laughing so hard.


Then we hung out by the turtles and Easton tried to talk to the turtles in surfer lingo just like the turtles in Finding Nemo. He said, "Duuuuude! How's it going?"


I didn't have the heart to tell him that was a land turtle. I mean, everyone knows only sea turtles talk like surfer beach bums.

After tormenting all of the pets we packed up and headed back towards our neighborhood. I stopped right in front of the train tracks and asked them, "Do you want to see the train or go to the park?" Easton said, "Train!" and Layla said, "Park"! They looked at each other and barked back and forth escalating the volume of their voice after each iteration of the "Train!... Park!" sequence.

I stopped it before things turned violent and taught them the meaning of win-win. I said, "How about we see the trains and THEN go to the park, OK?" They both screamed, "No!" because all they heard was the part of the sentence they didn't agree with. How's that for human nature?

They finally understood the plan and we left the bike and Chariot by the road so we could get a closer look at the trains.


The trains were big, they were real, and Easton was in awe as if he were shaking hands with a superstar.


His confidence level and outgoing personality are both shining brighter every day. I asked if he wanted to sit up on the train and this was the first time he was all gung-ho about it. He even went so far as to proudly proclaim, "look at me, look at me!"


I call this next picture, "How about me?" because that is the most common phrase out of Layla's mouth lately. She is ALL over the equality concept.


Our walk down to see the trains was by no means illegal. None the less I took this picture and although I only told the twins, "stick out your tongue" internally I was thumbing my nose at how we never get caught or in trouble in our adventure to the trains.


That is... Until today. Easton and Layla had their first run-in with the law. See those sticker badges? The police man gave those to the twins.


Less than 60 seconds after I took the tongue picture of us we walked back towards the Chariot and saw a patrol car driving down the gravel side road towards us. He was very friendly and said his only concern was related to my abandoned bike and Chariot next to the road.

Some people think I'm a well-behaved, upstanding citizen of the community because I want to be. The truth is, I get caught at EVERYTHING and don't have any choice but to behave.

Once my heart stopped beating like a drum I peddled us to the neighborhood park for some playground excitement and games of chase across the large grass area. All of this adventuring was done before noon. That certainly beat the pants off any morning I could have spent at work. Luckily the rest of the day was uneventful. :)

See you soon!

No comments: