Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Uncle Jeff

Hi friends and family,

The week is shaping up to be a huge lesson in emotional strength and flexibility. Kendra's uncle Jeff passed away unexpectedly which has been really difficult for Kendra. She was also trying to recharge her batteries after back to back late-night soccer games as well as fighting the dreaded swollen tonsils. She swears that is the harbinger of sickness. Here's hoping she sleeps well and avoid the bug.

I don't have any recent pictures of Jeff because he is usually running around chasing his own grandkids during family events. I respected him very much and appreciated his passion for family. This picture of Easton and Layla with Uncle Jeff is a good trip down memory lane and will suffice for this edition of Way Back Whensday.


As a side-effect of the timing for Uncle Jeff's passing, Oma and Opa will not be visiting us here in AZ. Instead, the 4 Webbs are planning a road trip to NorCal for the funeral. Not exactly the best circumstances to have a family reunion, but I'm certain we'll make the most of the difficult situation and find the silver lining.

Speaking of silver lining, we are in the midst of a cool down, complete with overcast skies and raindrops every few days. Tonight I took charge of the twins so Kendra could take the entire night off to do whatever she likes. The sun is going down noticeably early and that means trips to the park will be darker. Those mean looking clouds on the horizon weren't a concern at all for Easton and Layla. They requested to go barefoot into the playground area and as usual I saw no reason to deny their request so the motion was granted.


Thanks to a neighbor kid making sand-angels and throwing sand everywhere I had to clarify that undisciplined behavior like that isn't allowed. However, screaming and giggling while launching down the weeeeeee-bump-bump slide is perfectly acceptable and encouraged.


Layla's new stretchy pants that look like jeans were the perfect slickness to fly down the slide and skid out onto the sand.


I figured out why we spend so much time at all the different parks. After spending time in Missouri with my family I noticed their backyards are enormous compared to the cracker-box lots we have here in Arizona. In Missouri we just walked out the back door and played. However, we don't have that option at our house so the only way to get outside and have the space to run around is to go to the park.

Anyway, I decided to give grocery shopping alone with them one more try. The last time we tried this feat of Biblical proportions it ended with the entire store staring at us as we ditched the cart of food and I dragged them out to the car screaming and crying.

This trip was much, much better. It might have been the promise I made to give them a Life-Saver if they behave. They were laughing and bonking heads (notice the red spot above Layla's eye), but at least we made it through the checkout and to the car without anyone crying.


The other day I had the chance to play with Easton and Layla in the cul-de-sac. Neighbors (myself included) all come out of summer hibernation this time of year to get reacquainted with the idea of playing in the street during the day. Easton is getting good at kicking the soccer ball around, but he has a desire to pick it up and throw it so we'll need to work on that aspect of the rules.


I helped Layla recover her ball from the neighbor's yard and came back to find Easton took over my chair. He sure knows how to relax and take it easy...


On the other hand, Layla is all about achievement. She was so proud of herself for finally going solo with the tricycle. She finally "got it" for how to propel herself. Now she is mobile so I expect she'll start asking for her driver's license any day now.

Lookout world! Here comes Layla with her sparkly princess shoes cruising the streets.


The next few days will be crazy as we prepare for the trip, but more than anything I'm hoping everyone stays healthy. I'm sure Kendra could use additional comfort beyond what I can give, but after what I went through with my Uncle Dave I can sympathize more than most.

See you soon!

No comments: