Wednesday, October 13, 2010

The Krispy Kreme Experience

Greetings friends and family,

The 4 Webbs are safe at home once again and we are back to day to day live in AZ. Now we have just 2 weeks to settle in and prepare for Oma and Opa's visit for the Fall Harvest festival.

Chronologically speaking this post will be a mess, but hang in here with me and allow me some latitude to free form blog.

I took two shifts taking care of Uno and Dos while Kendra played soccer two nights in a row. We stayed at home the first night and Layla dressed up in her princess gear as usual. I was in front room doing something and realized things were WAY too quiet. You parents know that creepy feeling... I walked into the kitchen and found the sweetest un-scripted moment I've ever witnessed. Layla was soothing Easton by singing "Jesus Loves me" and running her fingers through his hair as he lay cuddled up against her.


I grabbed the camera and caught the tail end of the song. I was stunned by the compassion Layla was showing and the comfort Easton displayed.



We tell them almost every day, "he/she is your BEST friend!" I think it is finally starting to sink in and prove to be true. Not to say they are angelic towards each other all the time because everyone knows that's not true. However, those moments when they are voluntarily doing what we have been teaching for the past 2.5 years makes it all worthwhile.

I'll finish the stories from our trip to Springfield while they are still fresh in my memory. We took full family photos again this year and by some miracle took a picture where every person was looking at the camera and smiling. We experienced long periods of waiting before and after the flash bulbs went off. Luckily the studio had a TV with DVD player to keep everyone occupied. You will notice in this next picture how Easton looks exceptionally proud. The reason is because we found a brown belt for him just in time for pictures. He is proud because he's dressed exactly like me down the last detail of the brown belt.


In the department store there happened to be a min-Harley and these two bikers know exactly how to ride like tough girls.


We topped the night off with an early celebration for Nana's birthday complete with a homemade cake from Betty Crocker (a.k.a. Kendra). All of the kids and adults were adamantly insisting on seconds so it was obvious Kendra's cake was a big success. Of course Layla went straight for Daphne's princess outfit the second we walked in the door of Joanie's house.


The night was special for Nana because all kids and all grandkids were with her at the same time. It's a rare occurrence, but I know she appreciates those special moments and memories where we are all able to be together. What better reason than to celebrate the life and birthday of Ma? She was especially radiant and beaming as we gathered around and just shared conversation in the same room.

On a completely unrelated note, here is Papa's current hotrod.


You may be wondering why I would take a picture of a car. The reason is because Dad changes hotrods as often as most people change the oil in their car. I have my doubts as to whether this particular Roush rocket will be in his garage next time I visit. He let me take it around the block.

All I can say is: I'm glad the previous owner removed the turbo before Pa bought it because the torque in that thing is off the charts already without the turbo. For those of you who aren't car nuts... Horse power is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you push the wall after impact. Papa's beast has both...

The flight home was gleefully uneventful. We did have a slight problem with overweight luggage.


Thankfully they let us stow these two as carry-on. Easton was wound up like a spring throughout the flight especially on take off and landing. He didn't kick or bother the poor lady next to us and we received the usual compliments from other passengers about how well behaved they are.

The temps in Phoenix are still overbearingly hot, but on Sunday it was tolerable . Layla awoke from nap time and requested her ballerina outfit as "evening wear". She looked up into the closet and noticed the Easter baskets we have stored in the top shelf. She asked if we could have an Easter egg hunt. I was just spending time with the twins and saw no reason to deny such a request. So... we had an October Easter egg hunt in our backyard!


As a matter of fact, I re-hid the eggs three times. :) Some parents might say no because of the hassle or some other reason, but I said, "why not?" There's no harm in doing it and they had a blast finding empty eggs and filling their baskets. I'm just getting them ready for next year so they can bring home a big haul of candy loot for all of us!

During Kendra’s soccer game we surprised her by showing up to cheer. Easton and Layla were screaming from the sidelines, "kick it, mommy, KICK it!" The sideline crowd howled with laughter because the twins were the only fans cheering.


Earlier in the day I told Easton we would go for Krispy Kreme doughnuts. They have such great memories. As we were getting in the car to go home from the soccer game Easton said, "I want doughnuts, daddy!" I do my best to be a man of my word so even though it was very late we drove across town to the closest Krispy Kreme.

Dinner is served!


OK, it wasn't dinner, but they ate an entire glazed doughnut each and guzzled the strawberry milk as though it were the nectar of the gods.


Layla's intensity shined through a little TOO much when she tried to wear the signature paper hats. Ooops!


Easton got it right though. That's my boy. :)


My back injury is totally recovered after 5 weeks. I'm really grateful no serious medication or surgery was required. Just rest and Chiropractic visits and physical therapy. I tested it out today with full martial arts class training and I'm happy to report everything feels great.

That's all for this post. See you soon!

No comments: