Friday, October 29, 2010

Someday

Greetings friends and family,

Many parents, me included, make statements such as, "Someday he/she will be able to (blank)". Even though I've always made a special effort to live in the moment once in a while those thoughts cross my mind about Easton. I mask it as being hopeful for his future or wanting him to have something I didn't have. No matter how my attitude is masked there should always be a chance to step back and not be focused on "someday".

In many ways I wish Easton didn't growing up. This is the age where the connection and minutes we share are as strong and enduring as they ever will be again. Someday Easton won't ask to hold my hand as we walk down the sidewalk.


Someday Easton won't be excited seeing a garbage truck go by and want to tell me all about it.



Someday Easton won't be amused by a simple act like pushing his belt outside by slipping it through the door jam.


Someday Easton won't play "Dragons and heros" with me where he pretends to be a warrior with a foam box helmet and pool noodle for a sword.


When all of these small things are considered, which will inevitably change when Easton becomes more independent, my desire to get there quickly fades. These intensely short toddler years are critical and precious. I prefer to look back even as recently as yesterday and know I was immersed in that moment and didn't take the time for granted.

It doesn't make me any better than the average father or give me any bragging rights. I'm not comparing myself to anyone past or present family or friends. This is simply recognition of my desire to parent intentionally sacrificing whatever is necessary to engage Easton in this critical stage of development. My journey through parenting is only between Easton and I. It isn't about anyone else. It isn't even about me. It's about Easton and focusing effort no matter what anyone else has done or is doing around us. Being the best father just takes a conscious effort to make time and to make the time count. Those aren't equal, but they ARE equally important concepts. Some people like to argue whether quantity or quality of time is most critical. The answer is: both are critical. One without the other will have adverse effects and there's no way around it.

We've been giving M&Ms for using the potty for months now. However, the whole concept of reward and consequence is finally palatable by Easton and Layla. I took them for an hour-long walk to the grocery store and back. They agreed to the deal where if they obey in the store then they will get a cookie. Lucky for me the bakery lady was still on duty with a free cookie for each and lucky for them... they obeyed.


Kendra decided to have a pumpkin carving contest between the four of us adults. I let them go first so I knew what kind of competition to face.

There is a top-notch space shuttle so Easton was ecstatic. Then you have a princess crown so Layla felt special. Then you have the ever-strong family name pumpkin.


I decided to go a different direction. My soon-to-be-famous creation is called: Pumpkin Pi


Oh, come on... you have to admit it is clever. :)

Here's a random picture of Layla. It caught my eye because it captures her personality particularly well and also show's her bright eyes and big smile. She's always on the move and happy about it. The flash on my camera is set to always fire because otherwise every picture of Layla would be a blur.


Oma accompanied the 4 Webbs to the local pumpkin patch for a romping good time. Easton clings to Oma like a teddy bear even when walking from the parking lot into the pumpkin patch.


Hey, wait a minute. How did I end up as the donkey's...


Oh well, I don't mind. It's only an insult if it is received as such. Either way the picture made for a good one even though Kendra and I had to hold each of the twins up without grimacing.

The pumpkins at Fog Willow were appropriately oversized for the season. Neither of them could stay on top of the slick, smooth skin. Maybe they should stick a rubberized shower mat on top so kids won't slide off? Oh, that's right... The farm probably didn't want kids climbing on the pumpkins in the first place. Ooops!


Easton had a crowd of parents watching as he nailed a dismount from the big-boy slide time after time. I was really proud to see him show off a bit and gain some much needed confidence in himself. Not that seeking approval in others is a measure of self worth, but for so long he has hid behind a curtain of “I can’t” so I’ve been working with him diligently so he changes that to “I can!”

The petting zoo portion of the farm was excellent, but Easton and Layla were scared of the aggressive goats once they stepped into the pen with them. They were gentle with nibbling the food out of my hand, but because they were jumping up on me neither of the twins were interested in feeding them. Instead Easton preferred to pet their nose from outside the pen.


Layla was in the port-a-potty during this time and succeeding at the potty training venture. She's almost there!

Easton and Layla are undoubtedly city kids, but the inner farmer may come out some day so this could be valuable. Especially considering how Silas already grows tomatoes so well.


The redneck feel of the place was personified by the hillbilly trampoline. Basically they took bed mattresses, covered them in a big blue tarp, and surrounded them with hay bales.


The best part of it is Easton and Layla didn't notice or care. All they cared about was the bounciness and permission to jump around like crazy monkeys.

We sat at the photo opportunity station with the scarecrows and hay bales, but by this time Easton and Layla were worn out and ready to go home. Guess we better make this the first stop next year...


Easton's favorite part of the experience was the hay ride. The tractor steered the loaded trailor of people through a really deep mud pit. All of the kids screamed with excitement as the tractor slowly churned its way out of the sludge. I didn't go (and consequently didn't get any pictures) since Oma and Kendra already met the one-to-one parent-to-child ratio. I just watched from a distance as they chugged through the farm.

Some toys were made for twins and the dual-seater springy plane is a perfect example. It's so nice when the twins are able to simultaneously enjoy something they both like.


Sharing and taking turns is good for lessons about life, but occasionally I love the relief of duplicity or things like the airplane which are built for two. And here is another example. Kendra is "built for two".


It won't last long because at some point they will grow so big that she can't hold their weight or size, but until then she's just perfect for riding around the living room.

Opa and I took a walk with Easton and Layla down the old familiar bike trail next to their house. To my surprise Layla asked to take a break and sit down. In this rare moment I knew they were finally tired and would most likely sleep in the next day. Easton is starting to show some signs of independence and it is visible in this picture. We told him to sit close to Opa, but he wanted his own space and seat. It's not good or bad, just feels like a new chapter in Easton becoming his own little person.


Layla shed a few tears when Oma and Opa left the house for a few hours without her. She has such a strong attachment, which we are happy to see.

This is an extra long post because so much has been going on for the past few days. Halloween is just around the corner and Layla reminds us every day about her costume hanging in the closet. I know it will be an excellent weekend of adventures!

See you soon.

No comments: