Thursday, September 9, 2010

staying positive

Hi friends and family,

Times have been tough at the casa de Webb during the past week. My usual post full of good times and adventures will be supplemented with a dose of reality and difficulty.

First, the bad news... My lower back injury is still contorting my spine and plaguing me with pain. Kendra's back injury resulted from her doing all of the work I would have done if my back wasn't injured. And to top things off, Easton's fever has lasted 3 days now and is still ongoing.

My typical mantra is to stay positive and see the glass overflowing as opposed to half full or half empty. However, the past week has really beat me (and us) down to a level so low I can't remember the last time things were this difficult.

Easton's fever was so bad he was physically shaking occasionally. The Pediatrician says the reaction is somewhat common and she didn't seem overly concerned. He is normally the happiest guy you ever met, but lately he's understandibly sluggish. Poor guy didn't even make it through a car ride home in the afternoon without dozing off.


Neither of the twins have fallen asleep on me since they were a year old. I can't even remember the last time one of them sat still with me for more than 2 minutes unless a movie was playing. However, this afternoon Easton said he wanted to stay in my chair with me and then fell asleep. As much as I dislike Easton being sick, it was really sweet to have him resting with me.


We may have to take Easton to the doctors for blood work, x-rays, and tests on Friday morning. I sure hope his fever breaks so he can avoid the stress.

And to top off our list of difficulties we are fighting ants who took over the kitchen. We called for backup in the form of professional pest control services, but it still takes time for the ants to get the "keep out" message. You can imagine the havoc our ant situation is playing on our spending fast and efforts to eat at home consistently. Luckily, grace abounds and In N Out is just down the street.

That's all of the pity party I can handle... Now on to the good news. The Chiropractor is making progress on my back as well as Kendra's so we are both coping with the day to day requirements better. Daily improvement is what we are experiencing and expecting.

My biggest achievement for yesterday and today was walking (slowly) to the mailbox with the twins. I know... it isn't a Nobel prize, but it's more than lying on the floor or couch so I'll take what I can get.

Easton discovered a feather and spent several minutes tossing it in the wind and chasing it down. I spent that time searching for a feather for Layla so she wouldn't steal his.


Then Layla pulled out all of the stops with her Saturday Night Fever dance moves. Easton piled rocks into what he called a birthday cake and then shoved in a few sticks as candles. Remember the neighbor girls in the park, Opa? I think their cake-making in the sand provided the inspiration where Easton got the idea.


Layla finds the exact best spot in the cul-de-sac to scream, "ECHO!" repeatedly so she can here her voice bounce back. She asked to wear her Silvermist fairy costume and of course I agreed.


I convinced the two of them to stand next to each other for a totally contrived picture. Easton is happier than I would be with a fever. I probably should have kept him inside the house and relaxed, but I thought maybe a bit of sunset and walk under the trees would be beneficial.


Layla was sweet enough to pause the play time for a cuddle and self-portrait of us. Her voluntary comments of, "I love you Daddy" make my day.


The end of this story of difficulties and adventures is actually the beginning of our next story. Friday afternoon Neill and Jenny arrive for their annual visit. Getting life squared away and our house in order before tomorrow adds that extra bit of work at a time when we're having the most trouble managing everything. However, it is done, Kendra is fast asleep, and we are all ready and excited to spend time with them. Never a dull moment around here.

See you soon!

No comments: