Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Father Daughter Songs

Howdy friends and family,

Kendra is home safe after her trip to the Rosa bed-n-breakfast.  Luxury accommodations include long walks on the beach, dining at fancy restaurants, and an exhilarating day of princess hugging at Disneyland.  I'm really happy for her to spend a few days away from us having fun with her friend.  Even just a few days of stepping away from her Mommy is very valuable.  We have always been supportive of each other taking time away from the family for mini-vacations of a few hours or a few days.  

Each night I give Easton a hug and a kiss.  He says, "good night, Dad" and rolls over to suck his thumb.  Not much is required for him to drift off to sleep.  Layla and I go through our verbal dance of compromise, which sounds like a lawyer and judge debating or an auctioneer selling merchandise.  After books and new water in their sippy cups here is how it goes:

Daddy: Time for bed
Layla: Tell me a story, pleeeeease
Daddy: We already had story time with books
Layla: Sing me a song?
Daddy:  OK, yes!  One song.
Layla: No, threeeeeeee songs!
Daddy:  Two.
Layla:  OK.

then she chooses from my small collection of bed time songs:

Layla's song
Amazing Grace
I love you, Lord
Divine Romance
Jesus Loves Me
Oh Lord, You're Beautiful

I have no idea how my collection developed, but my criteria was:
- slow tempo song (not like Every Day I'm Shuffling)
- good meaning and lyrics (not like "when the bow breaks the cradle will fall")
- simple enough for me to pull from memory (repeat lyrics or a song I've hear 1,000 times)

I bring this up because I recently added a new song that meets a bonus criteria: It applies directly as a Father-to-Daughter song.  I refuse to sing Wind Beneath My Wings, which is the only other applicable song I know.  This one called "Don't Forget" by Brett Dennen and it's the best father daughter song I know.  I'm open to others if you have ideas.



don't forget, don't forget
that I believe in you
should you forget, should you forget
let me remind you
that I am behind you
you are a secret waiting to be found out
soon be what everyone is talking about
may you spread your love like laughter
and find whatever you're after
open all your windows and let the music spill out
may you dance like rain upon a still lake
you make this world a beautiful place
no more crying, don't shun your light, keep shining
wipe your tears from your sweet face
don't be afraid should things happen to change
'cause change can be a beautiful thing
should things fall apart
be patient like a rainbow
life is loving and letting go

I sang it karaoke style lying next to her in bed because the song is on my phone.  One ear bud for her and one for me.  There's no question where our tradition started and why it is a nightly enjoyment for both of us.  These are the same ear phones from when I sang for her at 2 days old.


After the song finished Layla said, "What does it mean, 'i believe in you'?"  Her questions are getting progressively more difficult to answer with each passing day.

See you soon!

No comments: