Friday, July 22, 2011

Safe at Home Plate

Greetings friends and family,

The 4 Webbs are back home in AZ for the first time in 45 days. That's a long time to be away from home, but worth every ounce of difficulty required to make it happen. The trip to OKC and Sacramento provided the perfect getaway from the Arizona heat and opportunity to be with friends and family. Why would we want to travel that much and be gone from home so long? Several reasons...

1. Because we can. my job allows for me to work wherever, whenever I want. Who knows how long this arrangement will last, but I'm going to make the most of it while the option exists.

2. Family is important. We want Easton and Layla to spend as much time as possible with Ouma and Oupa and the extended family.

3. I'm doing my best to align with the Harvard Dad philosophy of raising kids. The longer I am a parent, the more I see these truths played out to be an advantage for the twins.

I'll finish up the review of our trip to the ocean. One of the most memorable and enjoyable occasion was the time spent with Logan and Bree. Ouma and Oupa took care of the twins so we could have some adult conversation. The fantastic views and chance to hang out was time well spent.


All of us drove up the highway a few minutes for a visit with Aunt Robin. Her new place in the hills is exceptional in many ways. We weren't able to stay long, but it was great to see her again and catch up.


There is something special about the ocean. Four of the five senses for me are completely drawn to it. The tasting sense is the one left out. yuck. I swallowed some ocean water and trust me it isn't pleasant or calming or desirable in any way. 4 out of 5 ain't bad.


Each morning the thick fog provided a perfect climate for us to enjoy. On the last day I took the twins for a walk along the cliffs. They are too young to really comprehend the extraordinary opportunity to absorb the moment. However, they will certainly remember this trip for a long time. They both remember last year's trip so each year we go will build on the memories of the past.


The 4 Webbs plus Ouma piled in the Pilot for the long night drive home. The trip was uneventful, but our internal clocks spun off their axis due to the 3:30 AM bed time. The readjustment period was only two days and all of us are back to normal life. We are finally safe at home once again.


Kendra suckered April into cooking dinner and hosting us at their house because none of us felt like cooking. She graciously fed our troops and hers some delicious meatball and sausage spaghetti.

Almost every day since we began our travels 6 weeks ago Layla will say, "I miss Layla Ruth". I'm sure Kendra felt the same way about April, but Kendra didn't verbalize it as much or stick out her bottom lip. Watching Layla and Layla reunite is pure entertainment.


They only took a few minutes of getting reacquainted before they were back to playing fairy princesses and dress up.


The 105 degree temperature every day leads to once or twice per day swim times. I invited Trinity and Ben over for an afternoon of semi-refreshing swimming with play time with Easton and Layla. The water temperature is 93 degrees so that's why I said "semi-refreshing".

I brought out the slide to add a little spice to the pool time. Both sets of twins filled an hour or more with water guns and showing off.


Easton and Layla's favorite thing to do is practice. That's the term they use to describe swimming without floaties back and forth between the steps. Both of them were also able to go down the slide and swim across to the other side unassisted. I can tell this summer they will make huge advances in their swimming abilities.


I took the twins to Lowe's for some home improvement purchases. Easton wanted to see the outdoor misters, which he called, "steamers". As we wandered outside the two of them checked out the fountains. I hope they weren't getting any bright ideas from this one:


Notice how the little boy is on his knees while the girl stands on his back to reach the fountain... If I catch them doing that someday at least I'll know where the idea came from!

See you soon.

No comments: