Sunday, July 10, 2011

Rollin' on the River

Hey friends and family,

This picture of Easton and Layla cruising down the trail sums up how the 4 Webbs feel today.


We are having a blast, on the downhill slope of our trip, and seizing every opportunity to experience NorCal life. The weather is very cooperative leading to daily walks and outdoor activities whenever possible. I could do without the cottonwood trees and other allergy-tastic aspects of Sacramento, but without that I would have nothing to complain about.

Time with Kendra's extended family is half of the reason make this trip. I spent an evening in conversation with Kendra's aunts while she was out with her friends. I laughed more in those couple of hours than any comedy movie ever scripted. Yes, they really are that funny.

Someone took a few pictures with my camera when I was out of the house so these were a pleasant surprise. This is Aunt Judy wrestling around with Big Time.


Layla most certainly joined in the games, but as always she has time for a cuddle and photo opp.


Easton talked Oupa into swinging him around in a blanket. Then he invited Layla to participate in the wild ride. She always likes to be included in tandem play time. Oupa muscled-up and swung them both like caterpillars in a cocoon.


Neill and Jenny and other relatives randomly buy little gifts and toys for the twins. Many of Layla's are further ingraining the princess mentality. I can tell you with 100% confidence she truly believes she is a beautiful princess with or without all the glamour and glitz.


I took the twins for a bike-path hike by the river just for some different scenery. The sun was baking us sweaty and their little legs must have been worn out based on the mileage we walked. They had happy hearts the entire time so we reached our goal of crossing the bridge.

Easton had to pee before we crossed the bridge but denied it when I asked. So halfway across he announces he has to pee. Great! This is not a small bridge and I know we have about 30 seconds from his announcement to the time when someone is going to get wet. We ran as fast as their little feet would spin and made it to the bushes just on the edge. I dropped his shorts and ducked for cover. Luckily no one was injured or soaked in the incident. I'll be glad when the pee-pee fuse is a little longer than 30 seconds between the announcement and explosion.

We went back out to the bridge, then down to the water where I captured three classic pictures. Layla is looking in one picture, Easton in the other, and neither in the rear-view shot.

This one embodies what we hear regularly on our walks. Easton is easy going and interested in finding details of life along the way. He stops for insects, airplanes overhead, and sometimes randomly to ask a question. Layla is going somewhere and she's going there fast. Because of this difference her voice echos in my dreams of her saying, "Come on, brother!" as she pulls him along.


This one shows them walking more or less together and Easton's chocolate milk truck toy is firmly grasped as they stroll across the bridge. He looks kind of tough so I turned this one into my laptop wallpaper.


As we travel around the world I want Easton and Layla to appreciate different cities and people and scenery. This view is one we would never get in Arizona and watching them process their surroundings is one of my favorite past times.


These moments where Easton and Layla clearly show the best-friend mentality make me wish every parent could experience the joys (and the pains) of raising twins. I know friendship among siblings is common and expected, but there is something special about going through life together with someone who is exactly your age.

Which of the three river pictures is best? I'm open to opinions if anyone cares to comment. I'll crop the winning picture and make it the header image of the main page.

See you soon!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

2nd pic mom

Anonymous said...

The last one....It shows affection. If you could only keep one trait between your kiddos as they grow, this would be a good one. Affection grows from admiration for each other. They see the good, the bad, and the ugly in each other and still find reasons to love. Oh if every relationship could be so pure!
Love those sweet kids!--Joanie

The Four Webbs said...

Thanks for the input Joanie and Mom. I'll have to be the tie breaker unless someone else wants to join in.