Sunday, July 17, 2011

Mancation

Hello friends and family,

Glorious. That is the word I use to describe Mancation 2011. What is a Mancation? The definition varies from one guy to the next. For some it is taking 10 guys for a surfing trip to Fiji. While I would throughly enjoy Fiji my definition is much less dramatic. At this stage in my life with three year old twins a mancation is any two consecutive vacation days where I am:

1. not working
2. not with my family
3. spending 100% of my time doing anything I want or nothing at all
4. free from plans and expectations. period.

Here are some examples of incorrect mancation ideas. Remodeling the bathroom alone for 3 days: Fail. Spending a week in Chicago for a work conference: Fail. Taking a missions trip to Haiti: Fail. Going golfing for 5 hours: Fail.

While these things are good, they go against the very idea of mancation. Every now and then a guy needs a few days, not just hours, away from responsibilites and family. This rare situation usually happens about once per year for me. If I want to sleep in then I do it. If I want to crank up some dance music and shake the windows then I do it. If I want to be gone for a day trip mountain biking and stay longer than planned, then I do it.

I'm in the middle of my mancation and being unproductive is the most incredible accomplishment I can claim. This picture was taken from the top of Cathedral mountain in Sedona during an extended mountain bike ride.


I took a short video clip to show the panoramic view from where we took a break. I would say it was breath taking, but I was already out of breath because we drug our bikes up 700 ft. elevation to get here.



After we finished the ride we drove up further North for lunch. The best part of the trip was the freedom from timelines. I did't commit to being home at any specific time and no one expected or depended on me to be anywhere.

On the way home we stopped at the Outlet mall for some shopping. I was still in my stinky bike riding clothes, but the ability not to care is a powerful thing. The spontaneous decision to just stop and check something out was refreshing.

Kendra and I are so involved in each other's lives we know where each other is at all times. We know what each other is doing and with whom. The information sharing is not due to lack of trust or concern. It's because we are interested in each others lives and depend on each other. Now with kids there is an additional need-to-know requirement because someone has to take care of Easton and Layla 24 hours a day. Either Kendra or me or a babysitter, but until the twins are old enough to be left at home alone then one of us must be there for them.

So that's my mancation status and part of the reason I've been AWOL on the blog lately. Earlier in the week we enjoyed life as normal in NorCal. Riding the tricycles has been very good for Easton. My decision to put him on two wheels may have been a bit premature. He's gained more confidence and strength in the past few weeks of riding the tricycle than in the past few months of riding his bike. Layla is not a happy camper though. She likes to lead and be first. However, Easton had a chance to get out in front so he took it. Who needs the Tour de France when I have this kind of riveting competition?


Layla cried because he took such a huge lead. I half expected Easton to cross a pretend finish line and throw his hands up in victory.

Somewhere along the way Easton learned the crab walk. It's become a favorite mode of transportation for him. Even more than that, he likes crawling around like a dog pretending to be Bolt the super dog. You should hear his super bark. it's deafening...


Unfortunately Kendra picked up the flu again. She needed Nyquil and I wanted to go for a walk to the store. My hope was for Easton and Layla to join me, but Easton had no interest in going outside. If Ouma would have gone then he would have jumped at the opportunity. Anyway, it gave me a chance to have some daddy-daughter time with Layla.

Part of the trail is right up against the street. As we walked she pointed out how I was supposed to walk on the side of the trail next to the street to protect her. That was one of those moments where my efforts in teaching and training prove to be paying off. Each time we go for a walk I explain how a gentleman (Daddy or any boy) is supposed to walk on which ever side of her provides the most protection. In this case I am supposed to walk closest to the street. She gets it and I am so proud to be setting the example and establishing her expectations of a man.


We paused for a minute so I could attempt a self-portrait. My new camera is so big and awkward I wasn't sure if a self-portrait was possible, but they turned out well. Layla is a Daddy's girl for sure.


She's the most active three year old in the world... or close to it. Each time we pass the rough sections of crosswalks Layla attempts to clear them with a long-jump style leap. Sometimes she succeeds. I see Olympic Gold in her future.


Even if she doesn't reach the Olympics Layla is reaching the age of timelessness. From this point on in her life I will always see her as my little girl and this picture captures what I'm talking about. When she gets older my mindset towards her will probably stay right here at three years old.


Layla tackled a new milestone: corn on the cob. Easton declined with a polite, repeated "No thank you, Mommy" because he really dislikes corn. Broccoli, cucumbers and hummus are right in his wheelhouse, but for some reason corn just doesn't do it for him. Layla took on the challenge with great success and a buttery, messy aftermath.


I'll keep this post short and sweet because I need to get back to doing absolutely nothing in accordance with mancation goals. Even this much probably set the bar too high. :)

I miss Kendra and the twins very much even after just two days of being away. Tomorrow morning I get to see them again and my MANcation will switch to a VAcation in San Luis Obispo with the family.

See you soon!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So glad you got some sweet alone time. A body, mind, and spirit need that replenishing benefit. I will pray for you to have a safe trip as you journey towards home. Can't wait to C U, Kendra, and twins! Love ya gobs, MOM