Saturday, July 24, 2010

sing it out

Hi friends and family,

Who am I without my family? That question doesn't come up very often because it is a rare occurrence for me to actually live the truth of my answer to the question. I flew back to AZ for a few days and discovered the answer to that question: I'm selfish. That's not bad so don't feel sorry for me! The time alone, away from Kendra and the twins has been great. However, I don't really like the person I am without them in my life. I turned into a recluse from the first moment I stepped foot in my door. It's eerily quiet... So quiet I had to (ok, I really wanted to) turn on my DJ dance music at an obscenely high volume because the silence bothered me and I never get to do it unless I'm alone.

There is no food in the house so I'm eating out all the time. Denny's Grand Slam for breakfast, Jack-in-the-box Sourdough Jack for lunch, and Peter Piper Pizza for dinner. How far can I possibly get from a healthy diet? Well, that about sums it up.

Even though I'm trying my hardest to just be "myself" and enjoy the well-deserved RnR, I find my thoughts constantly drifting towards Kendra and the twins. Everything I love about them is amplified in what I miss about not being with them. I look through old pictures of us, watch sweet video clips of them, and occasionally wonder into their room and see the empty cribs just to get flash-back or two from moments in the past.

I found what I really miss are the little moments. Not even the extraordinarily memorable ones, but just normal, every day moments. For example, watching them drink runny yogurt for the first time and giggling about strawberry moustaches.


Nothing extra special or abnormally humorous... Just the standard life-with-twins kind of stuff.


I also miss watching Easton and Layla flexing their personalities through imaginative comments and new experiences. It is evident Opa sees the short window of opportunity to share in those moments as well.


I also miss songs from Easton and Layla. They are both finding their voices and it makes me happy to hear them figure it out. Layla does her very impressive rendition of Father Abraham:



This next video clip gets funnier the longer I watch it because of the repetitive nature. Easton and Layla are both joining in singing a single line of the Cinderella song over and over. and over. and over. Like a broken record!



I don't mind a bit though because the last thing I ever want to do is put out their little flames by telling them to be quiet or stop singing. The video clip is only a few seconds but the two of them carried on for about 5 minutes before moving on to another song or discussion topic.

I'm still playing the bachelor role for a few more days, but luckily I have 2 years worth of pictures and video clips to keep me entertained. And there is always Skype. :)

See you soon!

2 comments:

Esther said...

Those videos are so cute, I love the Cinderella one! I will be watching that when I need to smile!!

Esther said...
This comment has been removed by the author.